• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not Sure what theses are need help with Id

mematrix

5 Year Member
I got theses yesterday from a local LFS the Owner said the distributor called them Apistogramma Sao Gabriel
I goggled them and came up with three possible ids mendezi sao gabriel a reganii family species or Ap.sp breitbinden red cheeks
here are pics

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sorry, but the photos are still too small and the fish show too few dark markings to properly ID the fish. The video doesn't help either. The fish are out of focus. You seemed to have focused on the mirror which focused on the reflection of the room behind the tank and not the fish. Try focusing on the gravel just in front of the mirror instead. What are you taking these pictures with? Can't you produce larger photos of only the fish? If you can, just crop the fish from the overall photo.

mematrix

5 Year Member
Sorry, but the photos are still too small and the fish show too few dark markings to properly ID the fish. The video doesn't help either. The fish are out of focus. You seemed to have focused on the mirror which focused on the reflection of the room behind the tank and not the fish. Try focusing on the gravel just in front of the mirror instead. What are you taking these pictures with? Can't you produce larger photos of only the fish? If you can, just crop the fish from the overall photo.

m taking the pictures from a camera ph and its not that great a camera i will try and see if i can crop the photos and get more pics Mike

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Through process of elimination, we can tell it is not mendezi or sp breitbinden, which left A53 A. sp. 'Sao Gabriel' in regain-complex.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
I have seen these fish in person and simply not sure what they are. Their body shape is very round like a torpedo, almost looks like a 'bloated' fish. I am certain that they are not mendezi or sp breitbinden as I have kept both in the past. They kind of look like Apistogramma sp. Chao (A42). Romer gave it another name....sp. "Kinnfleck" but they don't come from Sao Gabriel Brazil.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No, not A. sp. Chao, nor any of the A. cf. pertensis forms. These forms all show a distinct, separate caudal spot. Your fish do not. More likely a species of the iniridae-group.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Definitely not Putzer, which has a separate caudal spot like all other members of the pertensis-group. It appears to be an iniridae-group species, most likely A. uaupesi. I can't be sure because the photos/video aren't that clear.

mematrix

5 Year Member
Definitely not Putzer, which has a separate caudal spot like all other members of the pertensis-group. It appears to be an iniridae-group species, most likely A. uaupesi. I can't be sure because the photos/video aren't that clear.

Hi Mike i got better pics i hope of the above fish his fins are better healed

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. uaupesi! (A156) Nice find! Back in the early to mid 1990's I used to be able to get them all the time mixed in with another species of Apisto. One of my favorite fish and one that I have trouble with now when bringing them in. And they used to be so hardy!

mematrix

5 Year Member
A. uaupesi! (A156) Nice find! Back in the early to mid 1990's I used to be able to get them all the time mixed in with another species of Apisto. One of my favorite fish and one that I have trouble with now when bringing them in. And they used to be so hardy!
Thanks Jeff yea unfortunately the early 2 i got and have posted on this thread were females that i scored and the latest pics are the male that a friend got of the last one the LFS had of same batch i got mine from just snoozed and missed out but he prommises to give me some offspring

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….