• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Normal courting behavior or aggression? :s

Pikelet

I have an aquarium bred pair of Apisto Macmasteri that I bought from my LFS not even two weeks ago :) they have settled in nicely and are not shy at all. The male will even take food from my fingers! How cute.
Just recently I have noticed aggression or courting bahavior between the two? Since I have never owned apistos before I can't tell the difference, just hoping I don't have two males and that's the cause :( haha

Male and female will happily hang out together and pick about the tank when the male sticks his fins up and starts bumping and nipping the female. She doesn't seem too concerned by him though she just makes herself look as big and yellow as she can and turns around and slaps him in the face with her tail a few times then the two resume normal behavior :s
If someone could tell me whether this is considered courtship or aggression I would be grateful :) sorry about the lack of pictures I'll get into that ASAP.

Pikelet

suspected female female .jpg

gerald

5 Year Member
She does have rather long fins for a female, but based on her bright yellow color and the behavior you describe I'm pretty sure they are a pair and will soon breed. Courting and aggression behaviors are not very different.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with gerald, the fin tips are a bit long for a female & the red in the caudal is atypical for females, too. Still, domestic strains tend to be color enhanced over wild forms, so it's possible it's a female. As long as neither fish is damaging the other, I'd just wait and see what develops.

Pikelet

The man at the pet store did say she was "pretty" for a female, but of course I didn't think anything of it then :) ha
They aren't doing each other any damage whatsoever and they don't seem stressed in the least, so I'll take your advice, cross my fingers and wait and see :) thank you both.

kaitlyn19

I believe you do have a male and female here. I am not familiar with this species but I am with other apistogrammas and judging on that, it definatly looks like you have a pair. Watch them closely and watch for her guarding any huts you have in the next few days or weeks. Im sure she will be laying eggs soon, she is a nice yellow. It will just take some time for them to get to know each other

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….