• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie here - questions on Apistos..

M

Markstr

Hi, just got on here and have a few questions...

What are the Differences between Wild caught and
Like Tank/Farm Raised?

I've been starting to look at several of the Dwarf species
Cacatoides `and Borelli "Opals" primarily....
There size is great for my small 37 gal. Planted Tank..
Was thinking of 1 male and 1 female...

I've heard the Coloring is different or should I say induced
vrs. Wild Caught.. besides health issues , linage etc...
Is this correct or????
Also,
do these species tend to dig up substrate or plants
in general?? I was considering them for their coloration
(males) and size etc...
Any info. would be appreciated!!
Thank YOU!!!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome to the world of dwarf cichlids. One word of caution - they are addictive!

What are the Differences between Wild caught and
Like Tank/Farm Raised?

Wildcaugt fish come from South America (of couse!), but domestic fish can be hobbyist bred or bred in large commercial operations. Is one better than the other? Yes. For the beginner I would recommend hobbyist tank bred fish. The two fish you mention are excellent beginner's fish. Wild & commercially raised fish sometimes have more health problems. Sometimes wild fish are better than commercially raised fish & visa versa. Once you have experience, fish from any source that survive a 2 - 6 week quarantine period (and most will) should live a long happy life in your tanks.

Cacatoides `and Borelli "Opals" primarily....
There size is great for my small 37 gal. Planted Tank..
Was thinking of 1 male and 1 female...

Excellent beginner's fish. Cacatuoides & borellii will work well in trios (1 male, 2 females) if the tank has a bottom surface of 30x12"/75x30cm or more. Trios of cacatuoides work better because males tend to bother a single female too much.

I've heard the Coloring is different or should I say induced
vrs. Wild Caught.. besides health issues , linage etc...
Is this correct or????

Several species have had their colors enhanced by selective breeding (like Bettas & Swordtails/helleri). They are not generally enhanced with hormones or dyes (except the Ram, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi). In general these are hearty little fish as long as they are fed properly (mostly frozen, freeze-dried, & live foods - flakes often aren't accepted) & the water quality is good.

do these species tend to dig up substrate or plants
in general?? I was considering them for their coloration
(males) and size etc...

No, they are excellent in planted aquaria. Only poorly rooted plants will occasionally be uprooted. Cory cats will do more damage than apistos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….