• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to forum... :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Times have changed. The fish described as "A. maciliensis" in my reply 9 years ago is now recognized as being A. cf. trifasciata (Rio Guaporé).

A. trifasicata maciliensis (and A. t. haraldschultzi) no longer is considered a subspecies, but only a population of A. trifasciata. For some reason (and I don't know why) subspecies designations have lost favor with cichlid taxonomists.

kristina

5 Year Member
:confused: A little slower for the not so bright one's here please.... So are we saying it is a subspecies of trifasciata or it is a colour morph of the trifasciata? I am fairly convinced that it is part of the trifasciata family, and not erythrura. but as you have said Hassles, trifasciata guapore came in with the shipment and they are definitely different from those. Let me double check the eyes for you tonight Eleocharis, when I have the lights on and I'm home (physically not mentally):tongue:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Photos of your fish will probably answer all of your identification questions. For all we know both of the fish in the shipment were mis-identified. It happens quite often.

Hassles

5 Year Member
A maciliensis ?

Kristina

Now your fish (A.maciliensis) is definiately the same as my fish and mine is developing some distinct markings such as a narrow sublateral band extending diagonally from the pectoral fin to the anal fin (and extends further into the anterior edges of the anal fin membranes) which an A.maciliensis should not exhibit but an A.trifasciata should. The lateral band is wide and extends from the eye into the caudal fin. Some spotting of the dorsal fin is also apparent. The Super Orbital and Postorbital stripes are yet to be seen or barely noticable while the Preorbital and Suborbital stripes can be seen if only just.

I have just snapped an image (sent) so hopefully you'll have no trouble uploading. I am having dramas with Photobucket at present or Id have added image here.

kristina

5 Year Member
Gday Hassles, Images recieved fine. Did a bit more fine tuning on them before uploading. They are nowhere near as big as when you first sent them to me, and a little more cropped. My male definitely looks very different to yours, despite being brothers. Mine has far more distinct markings, and yours displays far more yellow. Mine has only a very faint yellow patch on the dorsal, which can really only be seen if you look hard for it. I wouldn't have guessed they were related if I had not already known. Gimme a chance to borrow the good camera again and I will take some more snaps. :biggrin:

glenns_mac.jpg

glenns_mac2.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….