• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to forum... :)

kristina

5 Year Member
Hi,

I'm Kristina. have 3 tanks... so far, give me more time! I keep M. ramirezi and A. maciliensis. Having trouble with both ATM. Having serious issues trying to figure out this bloody forum. How do I post without "replying" someone?! How do I search my own posts to see if someone has replied what I wrote? Ok, I think that's it for now. Cheers :)

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't really understand the posting question! If you want to start a new thread then you start one like you must have started this one! If you want to post in another thread then you are effectively 'replying' to that thread and use the reply button in the bottom left underneath all the posts. It doesn't mean that you're just replying to one person. If you want to quote what someone else has said and reply to a point directly then use the quote button in the bottom right of that post. Either way your reply will be in that thread and visible to everyone.

If you want to know when someone has replied to one of your posts or threads then you can subscribe to the thread. This is under the drop down menu called 'Thread Tools' above the first post in each thread.

Hope that helps and welcome along.

kristina

5 Year Member
Spanks Ed, yeah I knew how to reply, but it's just how the thread is structured, I wanted to know if I could post or if I had to reply. You answered my question anyway. Yeah, I was hoping there was an easier way to view my own posts without having to manually subscribe to each one. Bummer, nevermind. Anyway thanks for helping and welcoming me to the forum. Nice to get the chance to talk to some other apisto fanatics like myself.

Bilbo

5 Year Member
Hi and welcome kristina (and kristina023???)

The forum is well worth figuring out as it has loads of great information and the people are awsome too.

Good luck with your fish A. maciliensis are awsome looking fish.

kristina

5 Year Member
Ed: yeah I think the new posts button will be my saviour on this forum. No there was no spelling mistakes I'm just goofing around. :tongue:

bilbo: no I'm only kristina not Kristina023, although I do naturally form groupies wherever I go hahaha, I only wish I were that popular. gee, I reckon if I got all my friends together in a room I would have a great statue collection. Oh man, don't mind me I'm having a bad couple of days.
Yeah I'm lovin the maciliensis, but the male is seriously intimidating the female and attacking her when I'm not looking, so he has been relocated but I'm concerned that it might not change when I put him back in. Oh the joys... Got any advice? Other than fire up the BBQ...

Bilbo

5 Year Member
You all know that there is no such species as A. maciliensis.

I found it on apistoidiots but it wasnt on Martin & Toms site so I didnt know for sure. Normally Apisto.sites is the best so I should have known it was a made up name.
The google image looked great but what is it's real name?

no I'm only kristina not Kristina023, although I do naturally form groupies wherever I go hahaha, I only wish I were that popular. gee, I reckon if I got all my friends together in a room I would have a great statue collection. Oh man, don't mind me I'm having a bad couple of days.

Good to have you here anyway, sorry for the mistake.

kristina

5 Year Member
I have seen it listed as A. erythrura among other things. What do mean by "there is no such species as A. maciliensis" , please make yourself a little clearer because from where I'm sitting I would say I have a fish in my tank that fits the description. I know there is a huge possibility that the name is wrong, and any further help you give me on this matter would be great, but I'm a little confused as to what you mean.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Gday,

Greatings from the Shire. So where do you get your apistos from and also welcome to the Forum...go the sharks....local news...cheers jk :biggrin:

Hassles

5 Year Member
A.maciliensis

You all know that there is no such species as A. maciliensis.

I think its fair to say that the fish, oft known as and oft referred to as A.maciliensis is possibly better known as A.maciliensis than its now more politically correct A.erythura (mamore)?

Kristina & myself both recently sourced this specie from Asia via local importers & LFS. As Kristina says - it fits the bill. A.maciliensis (or the fish thought and once known as A.maciliensis) beautifully graces the cover of the Cichlid Atlas Vol 1 does it not? regardless, whatever the now accepted term is, this fish appears to be that which was once (and maybe still be in some quarters) known as A.maciliensis. At least over here this term is met with some comprehension. A little education will take time.

Unlike Kristina (who has a pair) I have a solitary male and I can now see how it may once have been confused with A.trifasciata. Unlike the fish that graces the Cichlid Atlas cover, these fishes (Kristina's and mine) are very blue and very much like trifasciata at a glance. I am waiting for this fish to mature a little more and waiting also for the opportunity for a protracted look.

Take care

kristina

5 Year Member
BigBird: yes yes I noticed you were in the Shire... well kind of, if you consider anything over a bridge still in the original boundaries of the shire :tongue: As I mentioned in another thread, I got my apisto's from Hassles, who got them from his lfs who is making great breakthroughs with importing them. Other than that definitely try B & C as they almost always have them in stock. Call beforehand and ask what their next shipment will include so you can go in on the day they arrive and get first pick... :wink:

Mike Wise: Krikey, I'm a reasonably bright girl (at times) but that started getting a little confusing to understand. The fish I have displays an even diagonal line between the pectoral and anal fins. Male is starting to show green/lilac/blue hues across the top of the lateral band (which is slightly wider towards the caudal but barely noticeable) and the male has also starting to show a faint transparent yellow patch at the tail end of the dorsal fin. The thread you pasted here I read through and I have to admit I am now a little confused as to what I have. I am for the moment happy with them regardless of their 'proper scientific' name, and hope that I can get a decent camera and take some shots to put up and hopefully get a better identification on these little beauts.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Two species have actually been sold under the name "A. maciliensis": A. erythrura (= A. sp. Mamoré) and A. cf. trifasciata (Rio Guaporé). You might want to google photos of theses species and compare them with yours. If your fish show the diagonal stripe, then it is a good chance that you have A. cf. trifasciata (Rio Guapore).

kristina

5 Year Member
Tried to add an attachment to visually show the fish I have, but Krikey I can't figure the bloody thing out. So here is a link to an image that I found when googling "A. cf. trifasciata"

http://www.elpradopreserve.org/Images/apistogramma trifasciata.jpg

Although this is not my fish, it could easily be it's brother. Mine has the same black intermittent markings at the base of the dorsal fin, yellow patch at the rear of the dorsal, no red on caudal, and the black diagonal line between pectoral and anal is much more prominent on mine. Mine does not show any other colouration on the fins as this one does yet, but he is after all still young. I think you may be right, Mike... I could quite possibly have A. cf. trifasciata. Thanks for that mate. :)

Hassles

5 Year Member
trifasciata (Rio Guapore).

Two species have actually been sold under the name "A. maciliensis": A. erythrura (= A. sp. Mamoré) and A. cf. trifasciata (Rio Guaporé). You might want to google photos of theses species and compare them with yours. If your fish show the diagonal stripe, then it is a good chance that you have A. cf. trifasciata (Rio Guapore).

An interesting point. May I point out that when these fish (the ones we are referring to as maciliensis) came in, the shipment also included trifasciata guapore. These 2 fish were quite different from one another. As I have A.trifasciata already I opted not to undertake this other strain and in fact I prefer those I have.

Kristina, I shall make some attempts to photograph the male I have and post here for all to see. The image at the link you posted looks very much like the trifasciata Guapore red (as it was labelled) that arrived with the shippment that included your fish. If you like them they are available ;-)

kristina

5 Year Member
Don't tease me, I can't get any more fish right now, we might have to move house soon and were trying to save like mad men... Please don't tease me with stuff like that, it's downright cruel torture. I need some grog to ease the pain, send that with the fish :p

Hmmm... So how different were the guapores from the macs in that shipment?what were the notable differences you saw?

On further inspection of the male, the intermittent black markings on mine are more like a blotched line. The female is a little more pronounced but still fairly blotchy.

I will make attempts to photograph my pair also. I need to slow down with feeding the female, she is getting a bit of a gut on her from all the worms she is eating. I think you will be surprised when you see how big the male has gotten! He isn't growing around the waistline like the female, he is just getting bigger and bigger all over!

So if trifascita guapores came in the shipment with these, and are definitely different from these, what could these be? Hold the phone Hassles, are these wild caught or aquarium bred? I was under the impression they were aquarium bred...

Eleocharis acicularis

5 Year Member
More information RE: the fish you purchased Kristina

Both spp. are tank bred from Asia.

Here's something Mike wrote in '98;

> Your fish are probably too small to tell right now. Actually there are 3 trifasciata
> like species. The following are ways to tell them apart:
>
> A. trifasciata: Diagonal abdominal stripe always visible; lateral band widens toward
> the posterior with blue wash above it; tail usually covered with rows of tiny dots.
>
> A. maciliensis: Diagonal band rare, when seen (only on largest males) is broken on live
> specimens (present on most large preserved specimens); lateral band like A. trifasciata
> only noticeably wider, with yellowish band above; tail is unspotted.
>
> A. sp. Rio Mamor�: Diagonal band always absent; lateral band usually visible only on
> the posterior half of the body; tail without spots, being red or blue depending on
> color form.

Hassles

5 Year Member
Both Fish From Asia

So if trifascita guapores came in the shipment with these, and are definitely different from these, what could these be? Hold the phone Hassles, are these wild caught or aquarium bred? I was under the impression they were aquarium bred...

Kristina

Both the fish presented as A.maciliensis and the A.trifasciata gupore (supposedly) came from Asia. They were in adjacent tanks and you couldn't confuse them.

Eleocharis acicularis

5 Year Member
Do the eyes contain any red?

Just wondering, the fish you both have do you see any red in the eye. The remainder of the fish are small and in tannin stained, dim lit water, making it hard to see.

Not that your fish are A. erythrura, they have red eyes, always, I read.

So the fish you have are either a colour morph or a subspecies of A. trifasciata (A. trifasciata maciliensis sometimes written as A. trifasciatum maciliense), I would believe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….