• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Cichlids, Advice needed

BluePlanetGirl

Hi All,

I'm getting a new fish tank, And planning to get some South American Dwarf Cichlids.
I've joined here to pick everyones brains so that my set-up will be appropriate to house them.
I'd like to know anything you think I need to know!!!!

I would particularly love to get some Borelliis, Ramirezis (German Blue and Gold)

On the wish list would be Apistogramma cacatuoides, and Apistogramma sp. "Steel Blue" But not sure I can even get these where I am.

So any guidance in behaviour and needs, compatability, tanks and fish needs would be much much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

arodg12

How big is the fish tank going to be? And have you read the proper water conditions to follow for the tank? I'm sure you'll have more questions come your way, and have you kept fish before??
Corey

Hmoobthor

research, research and more research will help you alot...

as i mention in the other thread who talk about keep a couple species of rams..

all rams are bottom dweller..unless you have enough floor space, try to keep 1 male of ram

animalmgc

5 Year Member
from my understanding a pair of apistos need at least a 12" by 12" space.I would imagine if it was heavily planted you might get away with a couple pairs but for what u want to keep it seems you'd have to have a 4' to 6' tank and again it would have to be heavily planted

tompoz

For a pair of ramirezi 24"x15" would be needed. However, I am planning to have two pairs and 1+3 A. borelli in a 48"x16"x16" tank. Will see how it works.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….