• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Apisto's

Cowis

Hey everyone I am new to apisto's but have been keeping fish for 10 plus years. I just picked up 4 apistogramma cacatuoides (3 female 1 male) They are in my 16g bowfront. The temp is at 76 and ph is at 6.3. I have plants and driftwood in the tank.

Any ideas on how to improve the tank would be much appreciated.
Here are some pics off my cell.

Thanks everyone
peter

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
First, welcome to the forum. Now for your question. From what I see in your photos, I think the best way to improve the tank would be to add much, much more cover decor to the tank. There is too much open space for 4 dwarf cichlids in such a small tank. You'll realize this when a females pop out of a cave with fry and starts tearing up the others (including the male). Personally, I wouldn't have more than a trio in such a small tank, and then it would need a lot more cover with well established, separate, visual territorial boundaries for each fish.

Cowis

I was planning on only getting a male and female but when I went to scoop them there were 2 females left on their own. As they grow up I plan on moving them to a 25long or 33g. I will add more plants as you suggested! thanks you for your help!

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Peter+all..
From what I can see in your 1st pic, the fish behind the female (in the front) is a young male...(sneaker-male?)
At least that is my guess (since the orange spots on the caudal-fin are quite visable+ the first 1-4 "spines" in the dorsal-fin seem to be slightly elongated and not as blackned as in a regular female!) !
It also looks like it is starting to develope the typical filaments("cichlid"-characteristic) /the elongated endings of the dorsalfin+analfin-tips !!??
But I`m not 100% sure..;)
If so, you have to may to keep an observant/extra eye on how it will be treated by the other(dominant??) male+the 2 females further on ?
If they are brothers from the same spawn, they may already have an OK and established hierarchy..
and there will be no big deal in their behaviours.. (the weaker will dodge(??) away when they meet..)..and perhaps not display the same
colors+attitude as the dominant one probably will/already is...?

In addition to this observation, I can only agree with Mike W. !!
Please keep us updated if you can..:)

/Micke

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothygaw

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….