• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Tank

Cichlid Junkie

5 Year Member
I’m in the market for a bigger tank and am looking for suggestions. I'm trying to give "cupid" some ideas for Valentines Day! I have the room for a tank that is no longer than 36" (it's going on my wife's dresser in our bedroom so I can’t take up all the room!). It is a solid oak dresser with a 1" thick top. It could hold the weight of a 55 gallon with no problem!

Currently, I have a 7 gallon bow front (heavily planted) with:
3 Cacatuoides (1M/2F)
5 Rummy Nose Tetras
1 Dwarf Bristle Nose Pleco.

It will be a planted tank with plenty of breeding caves, driftwood and sand for substrate. For filtration, I'll probably stick with a HOB style. Which tank would give me the most floor space for the room I have?

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
You do realize you'll probably ruin the finish on the dresser with water spilled during water changes. Is your wife going to like that? Not that I think having a tank there is bad, but some people have different ideas of what is acceptable. :wink:

Cichlid Junkie

5 Year Member
The beauty of the dresser is that it is 60 years old and has a coat of varnish that is a good 1/8" thick. I normally put down a towel when I do water changes to minimize any standing water just to be on the safe side. Once we get a house my wife is going to get her salt water tank, so we have a mutual understanding!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Probably your best bet on a commercially manufactured tank is one with a 36x18" foot print. These include 30 Breeder (12" deep), 40 Breeder (16" deep), & a 50 Breeder (18" deep). Of these 40 breeders are the most commonly sold.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….