• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tank

C

CameronAdam

Guest
I think I'm going to to start a new community tank in a 20 gallon tank. In it will be a trio of Apistogramma cacatuoides, 6 neon tetras, 2 dwarf gouramis, and 4 ghost or amano shrimp. Can anyone see problems with this???? Any feedback would be appreciated. (I can scrap the gouramis if that would not work???) It will be heavily decorated with many caves and fake and a few live plants.
 

medge00

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
19
i'd scrap the gourami's. They can be a pain in the butt. I've heard you either need 1 or 3-4 to be happy. Keep in mind the tetras may eat eggs if you're planning on trying to breed the apistos. other than that, sounds great. i love cacatuoides in planted tanks!
 

farm41

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
1,191
Location
monroe, or
Not much off a chance for tetras to eat the eggs, mom will have them glued to the roof of a cave, and protect them ferociously. When they get to be free swimmers is when the problem arises.
 
C

CameronAdam

Guest
re

Is there something I would be better off with as a dither than neon tetras? I am willing to scrap the gouramis. What is the fish that is the elast likely to eat free-swimming fry and will not be eaten by Cockatoos?
 

cootwarm

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
429
Location
Burlington, Vermont
I use mostly marbled hatchetfish and beckfordii Pencilfish, but I have glowlight tetras in 1 tank and cardinals in 1 other tank. Your 6 neons maybe OK in a well planted 20 gallon tank with caves.

My cardinals and glowlight tetras don't seem to be a problem at all. I've never noticed the cardinals bothering the fry. I've also never seen the glowlights bother the fry either, but they are much more active at all levels of the tank, so they make me a little leary.

I think cardinals and glowlights would probably pick off any strays, but those under the parents protection would be OK. The tetras learn their boundries and don't usually cross them.

I don't think pencilfish would bother fry in any size, shape, or form. I've seen my beckfordi pencilfish feeding along side of small fry with out paying the least bit attention to the fry.

Michael
 

farm41

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
1,191
Location
monroe, or
I use rummynose and cardinal tetras, as these aren't my breeding tanks. No dithers in the breeding tanks.
 

Wey

New Member
5 Year Member
Messages
12
Location
Haarlem, The Netherlands
20gallon? I would take some more tetra's and drop the gouramies. On a gourami forum I would have said: "drop the apisto's"... lol

I'm so in love with colisa chunas (like them better than the colisa lalias) :D, but it will be just too full imo.

Also, get some more shrimps :D
They play hide and seek all the time. In a large(r ) group they will show themselfs more often.
 
C

CameronAdam

Guest
Would I be allright getting both amano and ghost shrimp or would they kill one another?
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
18,792
Messages
125,190
Members
13,675
Latest member
Phap

Latest profile posts

Re-designing and starting a new fish room all over again. This time we'll have many more Apistsogramma species. We are expanding.
dimandobson wrote on Arnold's profile.
hi
dimandobson wrote on Ben Bergman's profile.
Hi Bergman. I have a pair of breeding dwarf cichlid for sale. if you are still looking, drop me your whatsapp number and i will send some videos to your whatsapp
martin_c wrote on illumnae's profile.
Hi,

just in case you happen to live in Germany (or Netherlands): I have a wildcaught female A. psammophila, you could have it for free. I have no use for it anymore.

BR
Martin
Top