• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Fishkeeper, New Tank

AndyH10

Hi everyone,

I haven't kept fish since I was a kid (boy has it changed since then).

Currently setting up new tank and is in the process of cycling, and think it's virtually ready to start adding fish. After reading other forums and speaking to guys at the LFS I was planning to have a community tank based around SA dwarves, with say 3 pairs from three different genus, (1pr Apisto sp, 1pr Nanna sp and 1pr BR's). Now, having read a few threads here I'm not so sure, so some advice would be appreciated.

Ok, some stats on the tank; Its a 90x33x50 High bowfront, 180l (46US Gal). Fluval 405 and 48wT5 lighting. Water prams will be ph 6.9, gh 4, temperature currently 25.
Aquascaped with playsand substrate, sandstone, bogwood and leaf litter and moderately planted(with real plants).

It currently looks like this (there are more cave than you can see in the picture);
Fish Tank.jpg

I'm quite quite happy with progress so far.

Original stocking plan was;
1pr Apisto sp (Agassisi?)
1pr BR's
1pr Nanna sp (anomala?)
5 corys
1 BN or a couple of Oto's
shoal of dithers.

would this work or would I be better of with male of each species only, or maybe a group of one single species (maybe a harem group)? I'm not particularly bothered about breeding, but if I have pairs would take as a sign that they are kept in good conditions.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Oh and thanks to all those that have contributed to this forum, your threads and pictures have been the main inspiration for me to go down the dwarf SA route.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I must say that you have a beautiful tank! Unfortunately, your tank is a bit small for 3 different pairs of dwarf cichlids. Why do you need pairs? This is a community tank and not a breeding tank. Have you considered only keeping 2 or 3 more colorful males? Breeding fish will only cause problems with the community members. I also think that your tank has too many bottom fish and not enough mid/upper level fish. Some things to think about.

AndyH10

I must say that you have a beautiful tank! Unfortunately, your tank is a bit small for 3 different pairs of dwarf cichlids. Why do you need pairs? This is a community tank and not a breeding tank. Have you considered only keeping 2 or 3 more colorful males? Breeding fish will only cause problems with the community members. I also think that your tank has too many bottom fish and not enough mid/upper level fish. Some things to think about.

AndyH10

Hi Mike, thanks for the compliment on the tank, must admit it's looking better than I expected.

As far as pairs go, it was mainly because most thread and articles talks about pairs and breeding, I wasn't sure how happy the fish would be as individuals, it was only reading a few threads on here that I realised that some people kept them as singles. I guess that I was also interested in the social behaviour of a pair, but didn't like the idea of carnage in the tank when they bred and defended the brood.

So if I had maybe three singles (1 Apisto, 1 Nanna and 1BR) or would 3 males of a single species work? And also expand the mid/upper level species with some more tetras or maybe dwarf rainbows or similar?

Thanks for the advice.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The Ram would be my only concern. Does BR mean "Bolivian Ram" or "Blue Ram"? A Bolivian Ram should be fine. If you mean a Blue Ram then they really only do well at temperatures above 82°F/28°C and preferably a bit higher.

AndyH10

Hi Mike,

Sorry, BR is indeed a Bolivian Ram, I'd already ruled out Blue Rams because of their temperature requirements.

Looks like male fish are the way forward. A bit restricted with whats available locally but I think LFS order in. Generally would they be able to get males if I specify thats what I want, or are they supplied at a an age when it's difficult to sex them, and have to take pot luck (I'm in the UK)? I can currently get male Apisto borellii and Nanna anomola from an online shop, would 2 of each work?

Thanks again.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
or maybe a group of one single species (maybe a harem group)? I'm not particularly bothered about breeding, but if I have pairs would take as a sign that they are kept in good conditions.
Really nice planted tank, the Aponogeton's look great. I'd just keep one species of Apistogramma, as a 1 male, several female harem? A. cacatuoides or A. agassizii easy to keep like this, and relatively easy to obtain. If you buy 6 un-sexed juveniles you should get both sexes and LFS are usually happy to take spare male Apistogramma for a store credit.

Mike is right, but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't have some fry survive in a tank like this.

A Cory option that are fry safe are the pygmy Cories, I haven't got kept C. habrosus, but both C. pygmaeus and C. hastatus are both fry safe and usually ignored by the cichlids.

As you are in the UK have you joined the BCA? a lot of the Apistogramma keepers are active on there as well as here, including some with a good range of fish for sale. I don't know where you are in the UK, but in the NW there is Rare Aquatics (Crewe) and Pier (Wigan), as well as Steve Chesters in Runcorn all with more unusual fish. I know elsewhere it can be a bit of a struggle to get stock. I live near Bath, and soft-water fish are a very minority interest here.

Cheers Darrel

AndyH10

Hi Darrel, thanks, I'm pleased with the tank, and some of the plants are thriving, others less so. I guess it's a trial and error thing. One of my favourite plants is simply good old native pondweed (not sure what the latin is) which I originally collected from a river and has been growing like mad in my pond. Had to do a bit of pruning as it was getting a bit to vigorous.

Fish wise, I can't make my mind up, having a harem sounds interesting, but so does having a few singles. If I had a harem I wouldn't be too worried if the fry became fish food for the other occupants, thats what happens in my pond, and I wouldn't have to worry about finding homes for them (sorry if that sounds a bit callous). Thanks for the suggestions about sources of stock. I hadn't come across Pier before, and I assume Steve Chesters is STE12000Aqautics on fleabay and BCI forum? There are some around but it seems as though breeders tend to have the rarer and harder species and they are available sporadically, I think I need to start with something a little easier. Pier aquatics have a lot of apisto's but are being sold as pairs and they seem to be some of the harder ones. There were some interesting fish on fleabay recently from someone called golfnutcase.

Would something like 3 or 4 male A. borellii or N anomola work. They are currently available on TF2YD.

Currently got a bit of a snail boom going on, any suggestions?

Thanks

Andy

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I assume Steve Chesters is STE12000Aqautics on fleabay and BCI forum?
Yes, the great man himself, also a member here.
One of my favourite plants is simply good old native pondweed (not sure what the latin is) which I originally collected from a river and has been growing like mad in my pond. Had to do a bit of pruning as it was getting a bit to vigorous.
If it is the one at the top of the tank with feathery leaves in 4's? it is Myriophyllum verticillatum (or M. spicatum).
Would something like 3 or 4 male A. borellii or N. anomola work
Somebody else will have to pass comment on N. anomala, but A. borellii should be all right with lots of cover. I'd make sure you don't get A. "Steel-Blue" (often sold as A. borellii) as the males are very aggressive to one another even when no females are present.

cheers Darrel

AndyH10

Hi Darrel,

thanks for that, I guess that now it's a question keeping looking once I'm ready to stock with them. I spent a lot of time on the web trying to get info on male groups, nothing out there, it all seems to be aimed at pairs or harems and breeding. Had an idea about maybe 2m A.Borellii and 2m N Anomala. the logic being that the Borellii should be fine, and if the Anomala decide to get aggressive there should be plenty of room as they only have to avoid each other, and if they do decide to slug it out I only lose one fish. Might stick a bit more cover in as well.

Pretty much ready to start stocking with the dithers etc but will wait until end of month as I'm away for a few days next week and wouldn't to stick a load fish in and then leave them straight away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….