• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Apistos from WWF (CNN)

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, neither fish is new in the hobby. A. cinilabra originally appeared in the hobby from Ornamental Fish Aquarium as A. sp. 2000-1. In 2002 Koslowski discussed it as A. sp. Schwarzbrust. It is not endangered, contrary to what is written in the original description. TomC & I collected this fish in several steam + the type location just north of Nauta, Peru in 2008 and a similar form, with no caudal stripes, in 2012.

D. warzeli isn't new either. It was discussed by by Kullander as D. sp. A in his revision of the genus Dicrossus/Crenicara and by several other hobbyists since the early 90s as D. sp. Tapajos. Frank Warzel first imported the species in 1992. I don't understand where the WWF got the idea that this species occurs in Colombia. It only occurs in the lower/middle Rio Tapajós of Brazil.

I wonder how 'off' information about the other species on the site might be. I think that this is a case of 'a little information is a dangerous thing'.:)

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
Well, we know how reliable general new websites can be... but what's interesting here is it's linked to WWF's site which lists the scientists linked to the discovery/publication (again, Romer et al.) who would presumably be familiar with Warzel and Kosolowski?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The site references the authors of the original scientific descriptions that give them their scientific names. These are not the first discussions of the each species - not even in scientific papers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….