1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Apistograma set up advise please

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by csmcmullen1, Mar 15, 2019.

1. csmcmullen1

csmcmullen1 New Member

Hello. I am setting up my 50-55 gallon flatback hex Ocianic tank. I have drilled it and made a 20g long into a sump.
    I want to create a Apistograma biotope tank. I am thinking of 3 A. Cacatodis (1 Male and at least 2 female). 15-20 neon or cardinal tetras. 5-6 hatchet fish. 5-6 cory cats. And maybe a pleco.
    My question is what plants and substrate to use. I have some sifted dirt I plan to use but what to cap with. I have heard sand can stop gas exchange in the substrate.
  2. Saulo

Saulo New Member

I have used regular rock gravel 2mm to cover the dirt. As I am adding some catappa leaves on top it looks very nice.
    As for plants I like rotalas of all sorts. So you should be good on that.
    on another tank of mine, I see that the Apistos really like the Anubia and the root system getting into the soil adds a very protective area for the fries. So I would recommend that as well.