• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nematodes

Randall

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I just received a shipment of seven wild caught fish, all of which are in a new 30-gallon setup with no other fish. One of the seven didn't ship very well and looked to be in pretty bad shape. The fins were shredded and patches of slime coat had separated from the fish exposing the flesh. After about 36 hours in the tank, it died. I was out for the day and didn't remove the fish until after I got home, so it was probably dead in the tank for a good five hours or so.

The reason for this post is after removing the dead fish, I noticed some red nematodes protruding from the fish's anus. They looked to be Camallanus or, perhaps, Eustrongylides, the treatment for which is trichlorfon.

I've never experienced this situation before, so I've never needed to treat with trichlorfon. The remaining six fish are all dwarf cichlids, and I am reluctant to treat with such a harsh chemical, unless it is absolutely necessary.

Do those here in the Forum think I should medicate the tank? My concern is that the infected fish was dead in the tank for about five hours before I could remove it, and I am concerned about contagion.

Thanks all very much.

Randall Kohn

heslipst

5 Year Member
my exp

Dear Randall,
I learned so much about nematodes during my bout that lasted approximately 2 months. I had an infection that included angelfish, keyhole cichlids, mollies, apistos, cardinal tetras, and even a farrowella. I tried pipzine... to no avail. I tried garlic elixer... to no avail. I tried medicated food medicated with levamisole (I believe) to no avail.
As much as a hesitated to do it, I treated them all with fluke tabs, making sure to changed my water regularly. The fish were in rough shape after their three horrible days of treatment, but I had the big tank back in perfect shape back in perfect shape waiting for them. I believe that it has been right around three weeks now. I have had no deaths, and (I am thrilled to say) NO REOCCURENCE!

I am aware of the warnings that many have shared about fluke tabs, however, through my limited experience, I offer it nothing but praise.

All the best,
Steve

F

fishdoctor

Randall,

Fluke tabs will work quickly, severely stress the fish, and unfortunetly they often will lead to lower egg clutches and sterility in males. This is because fluke tabs contain insecticides. This works well on the parasites, but it often does serious long term damage to the fish that you have treated.

Terry Fairfield
aka "The Fishdoctor"

Randall

5 Year Member
Fluke Tabs vs. Clout

Dear Terry,

That does it! I've just ordered your book through Amazon.com!!

Thanks very much for the good advise. Although they both contain triclorfon, is Clout safer than Fluke Tabs?

Thanks again.

Randall Kohn

Bissot_J

5 Year Member
Fluke Tabs vs. Clout

Randall said:
Dear Terry,

That does it! I've just ordered your book through Amazon.com!!

Randall,

is it "Common Sense Book of Fish Health: A Commonsense Approach"

i hesitate buy this book... because i dont know if it is a good ref.
what do you think of this book?

No offense terry, but i dont like book , so i really inform me before buy any, because when i have a book , i usually learn this book completly :)

Randall

5 Year Member
Terry Fairfield's Book

Dear Bissot,

The very fine book to which I refer is

Fairfield, Terry. A Commonsense Guide to Fish Health, Barron's 2000. ISBN 0-7641-1338-0.

I find it an excellent reference on the subject.

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

fishgeek

yes panacur will work on neamtodes
panacur is febendazole

andrew

ps do worms in fish cause them to be thin or do you see other signs ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….