• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Natural tank mates

Avid Outdoorsman

I currently have a pair of wc Apistogramma Bitaeniata sp. Shishita coupled with Nannostomus Eques in a 120 gallon tank. They pay absolutely no attention to them. Tomorrow I have 2 pair of wc Apistogramma Panduro and a dozen wc Nannostomus Mortenthaleri arriving. I have a 40 gallon and a 45 gallon tank ready for the new Apistos. Is there a combination of Apistos and Nannostomus that would be collected from the same waters. I am trying to create a habitat as close to there natural habitat as possible.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, I don't recall collecting N. eques with A. bitaeniata when TomC & I collected in the Rio Shishita. Strangely we actually collected the Curutu form of bitaeniata there, too. I've never collected A. panduro, but N. mortenthaleri is not found in the same rivers as A. panduro. This pencilfish is actually collected on the opposite side of the Amazon. When in doubt, some form of the Dwarf Pencilfish, N. marginatus, is almost ubiquitous. I recommend that you read some of Tom's articles (http://apisto.sites.no/) that are filled with valuable information.

Avid Outdoorsman

Thank you Mike. I have read some of them and they are very informative. The entire site is a wealth of knowledge. Is there any other reference material that would be helpful in learning about Apistogramma?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….