• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

NANNACARA AUREOCEPHALUS

N

Netti

Hi guys. I'm new to the board but not to dwarfs. I cureently have some Apistogramma sp "Opal" and some Nannacara anomala but I work in an aquatics shop and some aureocephalus have just came in. I'd love to have some but I haven't been able to find much info on them. What water chemistry do they require and is there anything I should be particularily aware of? How do they compare to the anomalas? I know they can hybridize so they will be going in separate tanks. Hope to talk with you all lots over the coming months. :)

Randall

5 Year Member
N. aureocephalus

Dear Netti,

Nannacara aureocephalus is the giant of the genus, consequently they should be housed in larger quarters. I'd recommend that the tank be heavily planted, well decorated with rocks and wood, and several cave like structures/hiding places should be provided.

These fish thrive in soft acidic water. If the water is conditioned with peat moss, the male turns golden, especially his head and opercle, hence "aureocephalus:" golden head.

Good luck with these incredibly beautiful fish. From what source do your fish come, please? I'd like to get myself a few more, but they are scarce here in the US.

Thank you!

Randall Kohn

Neil

Netti,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

My experience with N. aureocephalus is that they require much softer, acidic water than anomala. We are talking 5.0pH for breeding. Probably somewhere in the 6s for general husbandry. They are very rare and, if affordable, I would get them! If you are willing to put the extra effort into them, they are worth it. Very beautiful fish.
Neil

N

Netti

Thanks for the welcome, and for the info. I had thought along those lines myself, just wanted to confirm. How big do these guys get then?

I already use peat in my water, it is very soft with a pH around 6.6-6.7, the tank is planted with mainly bulbs - the Nymphea lillies, onion plants, etc - because of Magic, my Plec. He just uproots anything else. It is a pretty big tank - 3.5ft x 18ins x 24ins so I'm thinking that should be big enough for 3-4 aureocephalus, but I have a 5ft tank coming within the next few weeks for my big guy. :D There aren't any other cichlids in there at present as I have other tanks. And I'm sure you'll all agree, you can't have a tank without a couple of dwarfs!

Hence, why I want these guys. Sorry to disappoint you all but I'm from the UK and I'm VERY lucky to get a hold of some of these fish too. This is only the second time I've seen them in 10 years of fishkeeping. The first time I got a couple they died within days, altho I think my hardness may have been a little high then for them then. This was a different tank - my first one, and Magic's when he was just a tiddler. He was my first ever fish and an old man now. Quite a character too! :) I am also wondering if they are bad travellers. I have heard they may be a bit delicate in that respect. Any thoughts?

Randall

5 Year Member
N. aureocephalus

Dear Netti,

A male N. aureocephalus can grow to nearly 4" TL, females to about 1.5" smaller. I've not experienced a bad travelling experience with them, but they do take some time and patience on the part of their keeper to become acclimated. Of course, you could always send them to me, and I would be most happy to care for them for you. :wink:

Good luck with them, they are incredibly beautiful.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

N

Netti

That could have been my initial problem then. Thanks Randall!

Fabien

5 Year Member
Hello, just a link of photo.
These are Nannacara aureocephalus from crique Tatou

http://www.cichlidsforum.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3276&forum=29&49

I keep them (2 populations) like the others Nannacara (N. anomala and N. sp. aff. aureocephalus).
Wild fishes are everywhere in little rivers, the natives call them "Aguédé" (head of pig) and eat them drying with spice (they call this dish : Talapia).

Fabien

Randall

5 Year Member
N. aureocephalus

Dear Fabien,

Thank you for sharing your magnificent photos with us! Good job!!

Might you know who handles N. aureocephalus in the US, please? We seldom see them here.

Thank you and welcome aboard.

Randall Kohn

Fabien

5 Year Member
Sorry but i don't know who handles fishes from French Guyana in US. Fish keeping is not very developed here. However, somebody spook to me about N. aureocephalus from crique Morpio in US or Canada...

Neil

Fabien,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

You have some really nice Nannacara there. Randall and I both are interested in those guys. Maybe we can figure out a way to get some of your fry sometime!
Neil

aspen

5 Year Member
hi guys. i bought some fish labelled 'gold dwarf cichlids'. they are quite similar to these fish, but the females have a black stripe running along their sides. they are quite similar to a. borelli's as these are, except for the colouration. the males have a blue speckling on the sides of their faces. any ideas what they are? finnage is quite the same as fabien's fish. they also seem quite skittish, yet in good health.

rick

Randall

5 Year Member
Gold Dwarf Cichlids

Dear Rick,

Can you furnish a photo or two of your fish, please? It's a little hard to ID otherwise.

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….