• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

N. marginatus: good choice for a A. borellii harem?

Miika Warsell

5 Year Member
I'm concerned about jumping. Do they really jump out from the tank?

I'm looking for tank mates for my apistogramma borellii harem, and these little fellows seem very suitable, but I'm concerned about the jumping.

I need to keep the lid of my tank partially uncovered since otherwise my frogbits parch.

Can anyone suggest a non-jumpy tank mates for the apistogramma who stay at the top level of the tank? Thanks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sorry to say that most top dwelling (or any other fish for that matter) will jump occasionally if startled. You best bet is to keep floating plant on the surface if you can't use a cover. I'm surprised that you can't cover the tank. The trick is to lower the water level a bit and keep one side of the cover higher than the other. This allows the water to drip only at the low side of the cover and not on the exposed plants. This worked for me when keeping Pistia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….