• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My new P. rubrolabiatus

dconnors

Thought I would share a couple of pics of what I brought home from the LFS today:)
Pelvicachromisrubrolabiatusmale2.jpg

Pelvicachromisrubrolabiatusmale.jpg

Pelvicachromisrubrolabiatusfemale.jpg

Pelvicachromisrubrolabiatus021.jpg

Hopefully the images show up ok, now for a couple of questions: I see these on a couple of different lists and some just say P. rubrolabiatus, others are listed as P. rubrolabiatus 'Dikiya'. Is there really any difference between the two or are they the exact same fish? What is the best book or source of information on all of these great west african dwarf cichlids? Being a relative newbie to the world of "westies" I am amazed that these fish have not caught on more in the hobby! I look forward to any comments or advice that anyone can offer. Thanks,
Dave

dconnors

Wow, really nice. Your LFS had those?

Best book on westies is "The Cichlid Fishes of Western Africa" by Anton Lamboj.

Well...in the interest of full disclosure I found out that one of my LFS that I sell to on a regular basis was doing an order from The Cichlid Exchange. I used to help run a pet store so I know they usually have some pretty good stuff. Had the LFS see what they had available as far as westies, they had some good stuff but not what I really wanted (N. sabinae). They had P. signatus and P.rubrolabiatus on the list so I told the LFS to just ask which looked better and get me 3 pair. I am very happy with the results! :biggrin: The males are probably 4" TL. I have them in a 50 breeder with lots of pvc and driftwood. There are also some cories, brochis, and Gymnogeophagus labiatus 'Rio Olimar' females in the tank with them. So far it seems to be helping keep the aggression down, but I have not even had them 24 hours...time will tell.
I will definitely be seeking out that book as well, thanks!

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
As far as I know rubrolabiatus is only being collected from one place right now so the "Dikiya" label (collection location...I think it's the near by village but I could be wrong) would apply to all of them that are in the hobby right now.

Older info refers to P. rubrolabiatus as Kolonte 1 and P. signatus as Kolonte 2 (or was it the other way around).

dconnors

As far as I know rubrolabiatus is only being collected from one place right now so the "Dikiya" label (collection location...I think it's the near by village but I could be wrong) would apply to all of them that are in the hobby right now.

Older info refers to P. rubrolabiatus as Kolonte 1 and P. signatus as Kolonte 2 (or was it the other way around).
Ok, that clears it up for me some. Thanks Jeff!
Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….