• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My funny little fish - dimidiatus

Melanochromis

About a year ago, I saw 6 weird-looking tiny cichlids in a fish shop and I bought all of them even before I was sure what they were since they were so unusual and adorable. The shop owner later told me the fish was labelled "dimiatus Lezas". Once in my tank, they were amusing little clowns that were so much fun to watch. They are shy, but curious, always poking their heads out of their shelters to look at me. They are just funny and very very cute, at least in my opinion.

Some months later, they paired up and spawned, and their small fry could be seen competing for food with adults who were not even their parents. These are some of the least aggressive cichlids I've seen.

Now, the babies have grown and become adults themselves. So, I'd like to show some pictures and hope that some people would find them cute like I do. :)

xdim01.jpg

xdim02.jpg

xdim03.jpg

xdim04.jpg

xdim05.jpg

Yeah, they like to travel in a tight group, especially when you just put them in a new tank.
:D

xdim06.jpg

xdim08.jpg

Melanochromis

nice lots of color,were are they from?

From a certain local shop here in Bangkok. The shop owner also happens to be very good importer. He's been importing a very diverse array of fish including occasionally unusual little gems like these dimidiatus.

The dimidiatus I got have a more red and yellow but less blue when compared to most dimidiatus pictures in Google.

Rod

5 Year Member
They are a riverine species from West Africa....Best maintained in soft acid water
One of the smallest cichlid species

These are the nicest I've seen...!!

Rod

5 Year Member
Hi Mike

They have been here.....I've owned them before (not as nice as these)
but I don't think they are any still here ...not that I know of anyway

Melanochromis

Thanks Rod for showing your fish. :)

He looks very similar to mine, but it's interesting that his eye has a prominent red edge. I don't think it's that obvious in any of my fish. There are probably some other subtle differences too. There is probably some variation in this species. I know mine came with the label "Lezas" (some sources spell it "Leza" or "Lezias"). I don't know what other dimiatus populations are and how to ID them, but I'm guessing that the "Lezas" one is probably more reddish in color.

Joe

Wow those are gorgeous and so cute! Beautiful fish and good job on breeding them:)

I really wish we could get stuff like this in New Zealand:(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….