• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My 150 community of dwarfs and friends.

ancientaquarist

5 Year Member
I noted that all my fish were itchy in all three tanks yesterday. Assuming
an overload of bacteria low down I treated all tanks with Melofix which I have found miraculous.

Tonight I noticed that one of my 2 cardinal tetras has ick on it's dorsal. I've had phenomenal luck with Ick Guard but am reluctant to use it during
the melofix cycle of 3-4days. Can I use it even though the Melofix is in?
Or should I euthanize the cardinal before anyone else gets it? He's acting fine but I really am not charmed by the species and these are the 2 survivors of 16 I have tried.

I care about some of my dithers-the Odessa Barbs in particular-but the dwarf cichlids come first. Help please!

PS-My only female Cleithracara maroni has a red eye after a bite from the thugs-the four male Bolivian Rams. I am afraid she's going to lose the eye. Any chance the Melofix might help her? If not, will she be able to breed later with my fully sighted males?

Sallywally

5 Year Member
There should not be any interaction of the Ich Gaurd with the Melafix. If you can see visible ich, you should initiate treatment immediately. I would stop the Melafix, as it will not help with the ich, and get the ich treament going now. Removing the cardinal to treat or euthanize will not eliminate having to treat the tank for ich. If one fish has it, it is in the system, and others can and most likely will get it. Be sure you treat for the full recommended time on the medication label, and be aware that the lifecycle of the parasite is approximately 21 to 28 days. It has 3 distinct life cycle phases, and can only be erradicated during the free swimming phase. Do not add any new livestock to the tank until it has been at least 3 weeks since the last obvious signs of active disease. HTH, and good luck.

fishgeek

the itching may have been an early sign of the ich
or alternatively something water wise that was irritating the fish and has allowed ich t then develop secondarily

check the water parameters first and make sure if you are not canging water whilst medicating that your water is good

then i would only treat what you know is there
never had much bother with ich so not particularly familiar with the meds

is there any other signs respiratory? or other

andrew

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….