• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moon affect on Breeding

libasci

5 Year Member
My question is twice I have been able to get Apistos to spawn, once with Borelli (the eggs never hatched) and just a few days ago with White/Gold/Yellow Cacatuoides. I noticed on both times the spawning occurred when there was full moon.

Now being a pretty avid Scuba Diver - I know that many marine animals breed during a full moon.

Have any of the experts done any studies on this - 2 times is not really enough to be anything more than coincidence but I figured I would ask.

What do the experts think?

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
moon

I noticed this too, so I printed out a calendar with the phases of the moon on it and started keeping track. I did this for a year and there WAS a clear corelation between the full moon times and spawning. Go figure!

libasci

5 Year Member
Ok so this something good know

I figure it could help the beginners (like me) doing a large water change and introducing a new food a few days before a full moon / new moon may have extra benefits.

Just as an FYI my Yellow Cac's eggs have hatched to quite a few a wigglers with mom & dad fiercely chasing a quite larger pair of Viejita's everytime they wander too close.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….