• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

mixing fry

electric eel

5 Year Member
i have agazizi and caucatoides fry around the same size.i was wondering if i could get away with growing them out together.i need to get them out of their parents tanks and have limited tank space.my agazizi continued to spawn after the last batch i had but the older siblings always ate the new fry.will the caucatoides do the same thing?there are two different sizes of the caucatoides fry in the tank at this time and my 3 females have spawned again so i want to relocate the larger fry.

Sharpfish

5 Year Member
My own personal rule of thumb with fish is 'If it can fit it into its mouth it will put it in its mouth.' If the fry are close to the same size I believe it would be okay. The two species are different in their body style and should be easy to tell apart.

electric eel

5 Year Member
i'm sure i won't have a problem telling them apart or i wouldn't even conaider it.it looks to me like the caucatoides fry are growing faster so it would probably only be a short term solution.i've mixed fry of other fish in the past but my experience with apistos is limited.i have tank space i can free up but i have a lot going on right now and time is hard to come by.i'm going to have to try though because those guys are spawning and my viejita rio meta are spawning also the hongsloi are acting like they are going to spawn.i think it must be the weather as its been a very dry fall here and we have started to have some precipitation as of late.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
If I have mixed fry then I tended to mix completely different species in the past, i.e. killies or cories with apistos. You then have species feeding in totally different ways and they don't compete as much for the food as they are in different areas. However there's nothing wrong with mixing two species of Apisto as long as you can separate them out afterwards!

apistobob

5 Year Member
I do occasionally raise mixed species of Apisto fry together. When I do I try to make them from as dissimilar groups/complexes as possible. In my opinion they do not grow as fast when mixed but they will survive just fine. It is important that you are able to tell the species apart and when you say this is short term only it makes me wonder how you are going to be able to tell juveniles apart as in my experience they look very similar until they are at least three to four months old.

DC

electric eel

5 Year Member
i've been moving stuff around today and cleared out a few tanks so i'm not going to mix them.gonna put the last batch of agazizi in a bigger tank and put the new agazizi fry in the tank they were in.decided to relocate the whole quad of caucatoides to a 55 and leave the fry in the 20 they are in.my prob. is that my whole fishroom is set up mostly for breeding angels.most of my tanks are 20hs and 55s for growout with a few 20longs and 10s in the mix.even at a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch the caucs and agazizi look dif. to me though.the caucs are more laterally compressed and the agazizi have more of the body shape of a julidichromis.these are young fish and the spawns arent that big.to me its a p.i.t.a. to put 30 fry in a tank by themselves but i'm just happy that they are spawning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….