• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

micro worms

electric eel

5 Year Member
hi everone!i was wondering how you all deal with collecting your microworms.seems like i always get some culture medium with the worms.i've got 5 new spawns of angels,some rams and 3 other kinds of fry so i decided to try microworms again to give myself a little wiggle room in case my bbs take a little longer to hatch or i run out before the next batch hatches.i've tried collecting them off the side of the culture with a q-tip and also squirting a bit of tank water on top of the culture with an eyedropper then sucking that back up.are there any other methods?any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks Craig

Bilbo

5 Year Member
I put a damp heavy duty paper towel over 1/2 the culture. You can then use a plastic spoon and scrape them off that.
I can collect a teaspoon full of pure worms twice a day off a culture.

If the paper towel falls to bits then you need a stronger type

electric eel

5 Year Member
thanks bilbo!i was thinking i was going to get no responses.i started 3 fairly big cultures thursday and there were a few starting up the sides today.i will try to harvest some in a couple days.gonna try to keep them going this time.i just never liked them cause it was such a bother to collect them.will try the papertowel method for sure.

Sharpfish

5 Year Member
A few weeks ago there was a good discussion about microwrms in 'The Lounge' under the title 'Value of Microworms'. There were some nice entries with good information. Try there it may help you with some questions.

Hassles

5 Year Member
Icypole Sticks

A few weeks ago there was a good discussion about microwrms in 'The Lounge' under the title 'Value of Microworms'. There were some nice entries with good information. Try there it may help you with some questions.

I place a few icypole / icecream sticks across my culture and rinse these into the aquarium. It can be annoying trying to keep the cultire out of the waterbut I usually find the worms writhing across the top so I wiipe my finger across the bottom and scrape any reside off and back into the culture. I raise all my Apisto fry on Microworms.

I also find a good deal of varience between cultures - some are incredibly productive while others are noticably less so.

I'm off to the Lounge

HTH

electric eel

5 Year Member
i started with 4 cultures in the round blue containers that nightcrawlers come in.never used them before but had a dozen or so from where i had bought nightcrawlers to make paste food back when it was too cold to collect them.the top of the containers is very smooth.i found once they were crawling up the sides i could collect way more then i need just by scraping my pocket knife around the edge of the top of the cultures(with little to no culture medium)i don't know why but some of my angelfish fry will eat everyone i put in and some tanks they end up in a pile in the bottom uneaten.i only feed them to the little guys(1/4" or smaller) the apisto and ram fry like them though but i still think they eat vinegar eels better.it gives me another option though.i have always had trouble with the cultures getting a film on the top that messes them up.i just started some new ones and put just a little from the old cultures with the film on them now my new ones are getting it.i'm using instant oats with yeast added.i had even a bigger problem with it when i used instant mashed potatoes in the past(seems like they dry out fast)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….