• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Micro fish from the Amazon - or: When one newly hatched Artemia naupli is a mouthful.

Tom C

5 Year Member
Also my last trip to the Amazon (October-08) covered a little more than
collecting Apistogramma.

I had previously seen a beautiful, tiny fish called the "Picaflor" (means Colibri in Spanish, therefore, also called the "Colibri red"), which would be almost impossible to send, and to keep, because of their fragility and minimal size. In 2007 I got some of these by a local fisherman, but while he stored them for me while I was on expeditions in the area, they all died. I would so much like to have some of these ... ...

In 2008 I had an exciting “Apistogramma-business†in Rio Shishita, and since one of my local acquaintances knew that "Picaflor" were living in the jungle not so very far from where we heading, we decided to try to find them while we still were in Rio Shishita.

From the Rio Shishita

resizeimage.aspx

We went into the jungle

resizeimage.aspx

This beautiful fruits are well known to the locals:

resizeimage.aspx

They provide an extremely strong red color when they are shattered, and are used by local Indian tribes (Huitoto, Bora and Yagua Indians) when they paint their faces and bodies.

resizeimage.aspx

We could eat wild Lime (Citrus latifolia) from the trees

resizeimage.aspx

And notice the colorful flies on our shoes:

resizeimage.aspx

At last we came to this biotope:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

And we found what we were after:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

As you see, they were collected together with Dwarf pencilfish Nannostomus marginatus.

resizeimage.aspx

The water pH: 5,32 Conductivity: 21 microSiemens/cm Temperature: 24,0 °C

Fortunately I was able to bring them back to my base in Iquitos alive, and not least: someone kept them alive while I was on other expeditions.

I brought 6 pieces with me when I went home, more than 2 weeks later.

Miraculously all of them survived the trip, and was put in a small quarantine tank of 45 liters, together with some Nannostomus marginatus that I had collected along with them.
The latter has already about 11 mm big fry in the tank:

resizeimage.aspx

Back to the micro fish:

Here is one of them looking for food on the small air-driven sponge filter in the tank, just after arrival:

resizeimage.aspx

This is not a big fish, they measured only about 8 mm, including the tail fin!

resizeimage.aspx

They have now grown to over 11 mm total length.

Here two males are displaying / threatens each other

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

This female seems to be full of eggs ?:

resizeimage.aspx

Males:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

I give them newly hatched BBS every day, and this is very popular.

Here a male is hunting an artemia naupli:

resizeimage.aspx

He is just about to gape over something:

resizeimage.aspx

And one newly hatched artemia naupli is obviously quite a mouthful for this beautiful, tiny little fish:

resizeimage.aspx

The fish is probably a Odontocharacidium cf. aphanes.
"cf." because it is more red and have slightly different dark markings than the Odontocharacidium aphanes, which is called Green dwarf tetra.

Now it remains to see if it is possible to keep them alive, and who knows, maybe these females full of eggs could result in something more .......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothygaw

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….