• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Males more fragile??

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
I've noticed this in my tanks, and in other peoples tanks a few times.

Males seem more fragile. I've got two Apistogramma species that the males have died, but the females seem to be in top shape! I've also noticed this in other peoples tanks, as most are looking for a single male for their females!

Is this just a regional thing, or is it generalized everywhere, and what would be the reason for this!!
I've thought about aggression, but for my part, I've never seen any signs of this!!

Thanks,
David

Woodsy

5 Year Member
It's never happened to me, but I've heard stories from people that if they feed their Apisto's PSB enhanced food t try get them to colour up, the males don't seem to last long. Hormone stimulation will reduce the lifespan of your fish because they will breed more, but it shouldn't do it that drastically.

Anonymous

5 Year Member
Funny you should ask this question _BaDgUy_ as I was going to ask the very same thing!
It has always been my experience that males die first and I too have a collection of dwarf cichlid females without males. Sometimes the males die soon after purchase, sometimes they seem fine for months and then suddenly die without any apparent cause, while the females go on for years. It doesn't help when others claim their Apistos are as tough as nails!

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
Here's another vote for weak males. I lost 2 male Viejitas while my females are strong as nails. They all expire the same way. Rapid breathing. lethargic and then gone the next day.

Discus Man

5 Year Member
Actually, you can say that the males are weaker.
Stress kills fish. We all know that. When we don't know what we are doing and add more stress its going to kill off certain fish first. I have noticed that right after a spawn I have lost males. I can only assume it is from the stress of territorial disputes.
Recently, my male Bitaeniata passed on due to old age (two and a half years old!, blind too) and so one of the male iniridae took over as the new dominant male. two weeks later the other male in the densly planted 60g tank passed away with an internal gut infection. Male and female inirdae now own the entire tank and a busy dancing in front of each other all day every day for a week.

So, males seem to this apisto newbie to be weaker as they are less forgiving of my mistakes.

I am the proud owner of, one female agazizzi, one female cacatoides in a 40getc.... (both males passed away right after a spawn!)

and a pair of iniridae in the 60....
In the end, I just have to admit I am a very slow learner and will wait patiently for the two lone females to pass on in a year or two and try again in the 40g! Another pair of agazizzi i would think... :)

locus

5 Year Member
I dunno about males, but my Female macmasteri is tough as nails!

When I was netting her to be moved to another tank, she managed to jump out of the net and went SPLAT on the cold cement floor... I carefully picked her up and put her back in the tank. The pair spawned a couple of weeks later.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….