• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

male Apistogramma not happy

Hi just bought a male cooko Apistogramma.
Put him in my tank doesnt look happy.
Not swimming around just stays at the bottom of the tank.
I have two other males in with him and 3 females
They all seem happy.
Ive had him for about 24 hours in my tank and still the same.
Any ideas cheers

Mol_PMB

How big is the tank, and is there a lot of decor to provide territory divisions?

A newly introduced fish will always be stressed, and if he finds that the tank is already 'owned' by the other two males, then there's nowhere he can call home.

Hi
My tanks 4 ft
He wasnt happt when I put him in
How big is the tank, and is there a lot of decor to provide territory divisions?

A newly introduced fish will always be stressed, and if he finds that the tank is already 'owned' by the other two males, then there's nowhere he can call home.

Hi
He wasnt happy when I brought him back from the shop.
Just phoned the place were I got him and they said it might be my water but if it was my water wouldent the others be miserable to?

Thanks for the reply

Hi
I left him and the female I brought with him in the bag for30 min then opened the bag put some of my water in and left them again for 1hour.
Dont no the parameters of there water but going back today
With the male and a sample of my water.
Cheers again

gerald

5 Year Member
Did he loook healthy and active in the shop before you bought him? If there wasnt enough air surface area in the bag you might have semi-suffocated him. After opening the bag, did you fold the bag top over the tank rim (a good way to suffocate fish) or did you inflate it with air and re-close it so there's plenty of surface area? ALso what Mol said is very likely: he's not happy because other males already "own" the tank and are threatening him.

Hi thanks for reply
Took fish back to shop
They checked the water witch was fine
So they swaped it with another cichlid have now put
Him on the tank and all looks good
Thanks for the replys people ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….