• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Maintaining Ph for fry

farm41

5 Year Member
My Inca's spawned in Ph 5.9, so far I have been maintaining the Ph 5.9
for the fry. The first batch that was swimmers on January 28 is still
at 5.9. Do I need to keep them at 5.9? Or can I just start weaning
them off this water and have no sex ratio problems. What are the most
important parameters to maintain to get an even split on the sex ratio?
I am mixing RO, a little tap water and peat treated water to get the
5.9 Ph.

Randall

5 Year Member
pH Maintenance

Hi Matt,

If your Inca fry have been free swimming for seven weeks now, I'd guess (this is a guess) that their sex has been pretty much determined by now. To play it safe, it might be a good idea to maintain their water parameters for one more week before changing the mix.

If our acidic water loving apistos are anything like discus, soft acidic water is recommended for breeding, but harder water is recommended for raising the fry. Apparently, the higher level of CaCO3 is good for bone growth and development.

One man's opinion; I'd be interested in benefiting from others' experiences.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
I've read the same thing. I haven't tried this yet with apistos but have seen the practiced applied with discus with success.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….