• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto borellii opal sex ratio of fry

JeffInKentucky

I have had several batches of fry that when mature are about a 6:1 female to male ratio. I read somewhere once that water parameters influence that ratio, but I cannot recall what those parameters were. My water is soft, with a ph around 6.5 and temps around 78. Can anyone advise what the parameters should be to result in more males AND if when the sex is determined? Is it upon the spawn, hatching, or grow-out? Thanks in advance.

MacZ

General tendency for fish, amphibians and reptiles: The warmer the more males.
At 25°C the ratio should be more towards 1:1.

that when mature are about a 6:1 female to male ratio
What size/age are we talking? Is it possible you tried to sex them too early? (Trying to rule out any mistakes here.)

AND if when the sex is determined?
Between fertilisation and hatching.

JeffInKentucky

General tendency for fish, amphibians and reptiles: The warmer the more males.
At 25°C the ratio should be more towards 1:1.

What size/age are we talking? Is it possible you tried to sex them too early? (Trying to rule out any mistakes here.)

Between fertilisation and hatching.
Thank you very much! Except for the latest batch (which I had turned the heat up) all were sexed as adults. Another month or so and I should know if my last attempt with a higher temp worked. Appreciate it!

MacZ

Allright, good luck.

For the wellbeing of the parent fish you should not exceed 27°C for longer than a few weeks, otherwise the risk of bacterial infections rises a lot.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Look up Römer & Beißenherz's paper on temperature and sex ratios in the search engine here. A. borellii was one of the species in the study. 26°C/79°F resulted in a 50/50 ratio. Realize that they made strict counts of numbers of eggs/numbers of adults. Any batch <90% survival were discarded from their statistics. Unless you do the same your results will vary from theirs. pH also has some bearing on sex ratios, but less than temperature. Lower pH values produced slightly more males. If I had the same problem as you I would raise your temperature and lower the pH slightly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….