• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for dwarf pikes

Scooter

5 Year Member
Anyone know where I can get some dwarf pikes (Crenicichla)? I'm going to the ACA convention later in the week, so hopefully I can hook up with some there. I've read that Jeff Rapps and David Soares occasionally have some, but I'm looking for other leads. I'm interested in the following species:

compressiceps
cyclostoma
geayi
menezesi
notophthalmus
regani
"Belly Crawler"

Scooter

5 Year Member
Hey Don. Thanks for the pointer. I hate you're not going to be able to make it to the convention this year. But didn't you tell me previously that you thought you'd try to go to Cincy next year? Anyway, if you stumble across any more leads for some dwarf pikes, please send them my way.

I'm headed to Atlanta with cooler in hand!

MsCichlid

5 Year Member
Have the pikes you need

Hi Scooter,
I have pairs of regani, compressiceps and nothos. All are F0 Unfortunantly, I will not be bringing them to the ACA. However, if you don't find what you're looking for in Atlanta feel free to e-mail me off-line.

Francine

Scooter

5 Year Member
Hey Francine. I don't have your e-mail address so I can't e-mail you. Have you successfully bred any dwarf pikes in the past? I'm still having trouble finding anyone with these guys.

Z Man

5 Year Member
Neil, Francine has been having trouble posting on the board so she is sending this message through me.

"I've been trying to get on the forum, but it keeps me from logging on. So could you tell Neil that I have 6 females & 5 males of the Notho's, 2 pair of Compressiceps & 4 pairs of Regani, 3 Xingu 1 (totally by accident), and 10 sp. Pacaya."

I guess she is trying to say that she doesn't have 80 pikes.

Don

Scooter

5 Year Member
I think Neil was actually posting an emoticon (face w/ mouth wide open) rather than the number 80. At least that's the way I read it :lol:

MsCichlid

5 Year Member
Yup, I think that the new filters the IT team added to the firewall are keeping me from posting. Cos it's working fine here at home.

Neil

Scooter and Zman,
No, I didn't mean that I thought that she had 80 pikes. That was just me putting a shocked face 8O on my post and then forgeting to enable it.
And you both are right, I kind of was just suprised at her selection, but I was really curious about whether she had a bunch or not.
By the way, thanks for the go between Don, while Francine was having problems getting on the forum.
Francine,
My goodness you have a fine selection of pikes there. Sp."pacaya" isn't a dwarf, is it? Do you have fry from any?
Neil

MsCichlid

5 Year Member
Hi Neil,
The sp 'Pacaya', from what I have heard, will spawn at a smaller size. Otherwise, I just don't know too much about them. I am crazy about pikes. However, I have my limitations, such as size and ferosity.

I only have fry from the compressiceps and the regani. The compressicep fry are spoken for. The regani will be around only long enough for me to get my breeders' points with my home club.

My interest in these torpedo shaped fish is just as strong as my love for those little fireballs named Apistogramma.

Z Man

5 Year Member
OK Neil, I am the guilty party. I'm the guy who spawned the 'Pacaya' that Francine has. The parents were not 4" when they spawned for me. The sad thing is that I had removed the male right after the eggs started to wiggle because she was chasing him. When I put them back together after the fry had been removed, they killed each other but were still only about 4". I have written an article that you are welcome to as I can't access my site lately but you will have to e-mail me privately and I will send it to you if you are interested.
"Z"

Scooter

5 Year Member
Good grief Francine. I guess you snooze you loose, but sounds like someone reached in and grabbed those compressiceps before I even had a chance to make sure I had the cash to offer! Hopefully, you'll have more fry later and I will have a chance to get in on the action. :lol:

MsCichlid

5 Year Member
Okay,
I will keep all posted on the pikes as they become available. I am still trying to get things straight in the fishroom after being in Atlanta.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….