• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for advice on what species to keep and breed

TKC747

Hi. i know next to nothing about Apistos. I have a 10 gallon which I would like to keep a pair in and breed. I'm looking for something easy and hardy, which has been succesfully propagated, that is tank raised and in some adequate supply. I don't want wild caught because this is my first outing with Apistos.

Thanks

Tom :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My suggestion is a nice pair of A. borellii "Opal". With care and some experience - and a properly decorated aquarium - many other species are possible. Just avoid species related to the nijsseni-group and atahualpa-group unless they are a strongly bonded pair. They can be very aggressive for such small cichlids. Other possibilities would be a trio of shell dwelling Lamps.

briztoon

5 Year Member
G'day Tom,

If you are hoping to breed an apsito species, you may need to consider buying a second tank to grow out the fry in. Many people remove apisto fry around the 6 to 8 week mark, as it avoids the parents killing the older fry when they breed again.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussieApisto

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(