• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lfs apisto ID please

Blacksheep1

Hello everyone.

This apisto was unlabelled in a lfs but when I asked he said two types came in ( from a breeder no less !) cacs and viejita ‘gold’. There were some terribly deformed female cacs in the tank but this was the only male of any type.

He offered me the females if I took the male , I politely declined. But I am interested in an identification if possible at all.

Thankyou all in advance. 8D0F544F-8523-4A60-9F0C-1556C8B2B49F.jpegD9FA3C93-2DBE-402C-9EFD-0BD8C5C1AB8C.jpeg8D2972D7-F518-4ACF-884A-3FF7C3B815B5.jpeg

Blacksheep1

The ( what I’m assuming are ) females in the tank were less than half the size of this fish. If you think this fish is poor then you really do not want to see the others, really sad. I assumed a male due to the behaviour of chasing and controlling the other fish into a corner and the size compared to the others .

Are we in agreement then on cac ?

I cannot believe these fish came from a breeder , shocking standards. Most of the others had severely bent spines , were stunted and had clamped fins.

MacZ

I cannot believe these fish came from a breeder , shocking standards. Most of the others had severely bent spines , were stunted and had clamped fins.
That's what you get from in- and linebreeding over decades. That's the reason I discourage people from breeding these fish. Good for a first attempt breeding the genus, but after that... nope. Just nope.

Blacksheep1

That's what you get from in- and linebreeding over decades. That's the reason I discourage people from breeding these fish. Good for a first attempt breeding the genus, but after that... nope. Just nope.
I was honestly shocked at the state of these fish, it made me really sad. I can see why people get disheartened with apistos if this is what the standard is. There’s no way these fish can live a healthy, happy life. No way should those fish be bred .

I just want to say it’s not the shops fault , they ordered from a breeder and that’s the quality they got. I have a good relationship with the shop and recommended they didn’t sell the females as they were so deformed … but a job is a job I guess.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
In my opinion, this shop should find other breeders to get fish from and somehow communicate that they do not want to sell “bad” fish, -but sadly if there is a marked…

Blacksheep1

I agree. I politely remarked that the females should have been culls and to use another breeder in future but I didn’t want to over step the line too much ! I kept my mouth closed after that.

Thankyou to everyone for taking the time to reply :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….