• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Laetacara thayeri

lonlangione

5 Year Member
I picked up what I believe to be Laetacara thayeri. Anyone here have any experience with them? Does anyone have any pictures of this fish. The shop had them marked as "Saddle Cichlids", but they are not metae or tetramerus. They were mostly all males. But they are really hard to sex. The 'males" have long trailing dorsals tipped in orange. They are in rough shape, the shop I got them from tends to be stingy with the food. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Lonny

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
I've spawned L. dorsigerus and curviceps so I thought thayeri would be just as easy and I was wrong. I never had any luck with them. They are much bigger then their more common cousins and maybe I had them in too small a tank (29G) but they never did anything and just faded away. They seemed to be pretty nasty to each other, too.

lonlangione

5 Year Member
Yep, they are rough on each other that's for sure. I first bought what I thought was a pair. The guy bagged them together. I thought about having him bag them separately but I figured I was going right home. I got home an hour and a half later and the "male" beat the daylights out of the "female". I have some big paradise fish in with them as dithers.

Lonny

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….