• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Laetacara Thayeri

Jeffery Doty

5 Year Member
Hello Everybody,

I am growing out 8 L. Thayeri, and I was wondering if anyone has kept them? If so, how do you suggest I best arrainge the tank to suit them. Also, are they sexable?

Thank you for the help.

Jeff
Oregon

Neil

Jeff,
Until they get big, they are next to impossible to sex. And even then there is only slight differences in the fins.
Arrange the tank with fairly good cover (plants) and use a fine substrate. You could put a cave or two in there for security and possible spawning surface, but they are substrate spawners and the on time that I fooled with them, they layed in a pit. But you should probably also offer them a surface to spawn on, like a small piece of slate or something so they have a choice.
They are nice little fish. Good luck with them.
Neil

Randall

5 Year Member
Dear Jeff,

Neil hit the nail right on the head, when he wrote that L. thayeri "are next to impossible to sex." But starting at about 2" in total length, a hint of sexual dimorphism does become apparent.

1) Males grow larger than females.
2) The unpaired fins of the male grow longer and more pointed than those of the female. The female's tend to be more round at the ends, while a full grown male's will have filamentous extensions.
3) Males tend to exhibit more of a wine red color in the belly, while females tend more to a brownish color.

Hope this helps you out some.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Jeffery Doty

5 Year Member
Randall,

Thanks! Yes, that helps a whole bunch. I have gone from having no ideas on how to sex them, to having some indicators that will help make an educated guess. Of course, if they just spawn, that would help a lot!

One question, do both parents care for the fry?

These guys are very subdued in their coloration right now, but I am watching daily to see any changes. They are certainly hardy, in a grow out tank with angels and Nannacara they compete for food like litte guided missels.

Thanks again.

Jeff
Oregon

Randall

5 Year Member
L. theyeri

Dear Jeff,

Yes, L. thayeri, like the other Laetacara species, are biparental, open substrate spawners. Simply have some secluded areas in the tank with a suitable flat surface (like a flat rock situated above the substrate level, somewhat), perform frequent partial water changes, and eventually you'll have fry.

Please remember that thayeri grow to be fairly large--males 4-5 inches and females 3-4 inches--so they may still have some growing to do before they achieve sexual maturity.

Thanks for reading.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….