• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Laetacara sp. "Orangeflossen"

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
My Pair of Orange Fin

IMG_5943_NR.jpg

IMG_5948_NR.jpg

.5" fry already showing some colour

IMG_5951_NR.jpg

Galactic Doug

5 Year Member
WOW! :eek:
Thats a really beautiful pair! I wish my LFS could get such fish. I live in the archaic fish times zone... lol

Nice pics too.!
Doug

wlagory

5 Year Member
Amazing fish!! I just got my first curviceps and really like the genus. I have never seen this type before. Awesome job! :)

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
Thanks every one.

I have to admit I am very pleased with them and are probably the best looking fish in the genus.The came in as sp. "Manaus" and could have been anything but what a fish they turned out to be.The only problem with them is they make great parents and because of this they are too aggressive for general community tank they are probably more suited to a medium sized community or a species tank as they can grow to >10cm. Mine are in a five foot tank on there own, other than with well over 100 fry.

Its also a fish that you should see more of see but I think it is a little like the West African Hemichromis stunning fish when spawning but just too aggressive.

P.S.

Ken if you would like some fry I'll send you some.

P.W.

5 Year Member
Very nice fishes! I also have a special interest in the laetacara species. I have a pair of L.Thayeri. They are really strange. Its the most peaceful cichlid species I know of. Its a big species, the biggest laetacara species I suppose. The male is close to 15cm!! He starts to develop a small hump on his head also :)

Good luck with your "Orangeflossen" , Peter!

Regards/ Per

Simon Morgan

5 Year Member
Hi Peter,

I think I may have bought some of your fish back in March at the BCA AGM.
They are beginning to show some breeding behaviour but I'm not sure how to tell apart the sexes. I'm guessing the male has the red markings on the face.
Do they need any special conditions for breeding? They are in rain water at pH6, 27c I think.

Two fish have started mouth-locking and displaying. Is this male to male aggression or mating behaviour?

Picture taken a few months ago, they have grow on quite quickly.

Thanks,
Simon

100_2329_edited.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….