• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Laetacara araguaiae color forms

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
I currently have a pair of the purple form buckelkopf's and will be hopefully upgrading their tank soon. I see the blue form available lately and got me thinking ... do we know the range for each color form? I know the species overall range, but I was curious if we know which river systems each of the two come from.

The reason being, while I don't do true biotope tanks (my lack of a green thumb means I pretty much just use mosses and anubias), I do like to match the dithers to the cichlids.

Anyone happen to know the assorted systems?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't think anyone has described which color forms come from which locality. Now that mostly scientists and commercial collectors are able to collect in Brazil - who don't really care about color morphs for the most part - I don't know if this will be answered soon.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replay Mike,

That's too bad. I've seen both the purple and blue forms listed as being from the Rio Araguaia before, so who knows. I certainly haven't been able to find anything anywhere online. I find it hard to believe both come from the same system, unless they were separate species. I know some people that have kept both forms that have noticed a fair aggression difference between them ... so perhaps ...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Dr. Rosemary Lowe-McConnell (1975) has a list of species from the mid-upper Rio Araguaia. One of them is a dwarf acara (Laetacara) that she lists as "Aequidens sp. Purple". I'm pretty sure this is L. araguaiae.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Most likely, and the purple form is the one I have. That will work out then. I would then (probably incorrectly) assume the blue is from the Tapajos and maybe the Xingu, while the Tocantins is probably the purple. I guess without any accurate data, I'll treat them as such in terms of tankmates until something else is published to the contrary.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Who knows? There could be purple color morphs in the Xingu, Tapajós and Ilha de Marajo, and blue morphs from the Tocantins/Araguaia system. I wouldn't base collecting location solely on color. I personally tend not to mix color morphs unless absolutely necessary. That way, if someone discovers that the 2 forms/morphs are different species, you have both species pure.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Oh, I completely agree with that. I've been railing against mixing new races with old on a different site, citing how science and DNA have been splitting species up right and left. I mean, how many of use thought there would ever be 5 convict cichlid species 25 years ago? The idea behind treating them as different river systems (for me) means I'd keep them in separate tanks.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
If I remember right, the blues were the more aggressive race ... I'll see if I can search back and double check. The discussion was on another site about 4+ years ago.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
I thought the female had been displaying to the male lately, but he kept chasing her off. Guess I should have looked more closely before starting a long over due water change eh?

L. araguaiae eggs.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….