• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping two species of Apisto's in one tank

Pchavez

Hello everyone,

I would like to know or receive any suggestions as to what types of apistogrammas would be able to coexist and thrive together.

My LFS is about to recieve a shipment of Apistos and I would like to keep two kinds of species, the tank is a 40g long (36 x 18) with nooks, crannies, and caves :).

I'm leaning towards cacatuoides/agassizis/viejata/borelli but I am open to other species. Also, I realize there may not be a concrete answer as fish (and in particular ciclids) are a hit and miss in terms of aggression.

I would like to ask from other apisto hobbyists and their past experiences, what worked for you?

Thanks for sharing!

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
I would not recommend mixing species of apistos...even in a super large tank. Is it possible to do? Sure. The possibility of the species cross breeding would be there; I'd rather see a male with a couple of females and some dithers in a tank the size you are suggesting.

Good luck!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Although I tend to agree with slimbolen99, a properly aquascaped 40 Breeder tank (that's what you have if its 36x18x16") should be able to house a couple of apisto species in a community setting. I would avoid mixing similar shaped species, e.g. Pebas with macmasteri or cacatuoides with baenschi. There usually is more inter species aggression when 2 similar looking species are kept together. Mixing 2 members of the same or closely related species-groups is definitely not recommended. This is where the possibility of hybrids appear. Species of different species-groups are usually so different that they rarely cross. Also consider the general temperament of the species. I wouldn't put meeker species with aggressive species, e.g. borellii with atahualpa. Of the 4 species that you list my preference is mixing A. cacatuoides with A. agassizii. They already live together in nature.

If you plan to breed your apistos, I definitely don't recommend 2 different species/tank. It is not for fear of cross-breeding, but for the problems it often causes that leads to lower survival rates of the young. Instead, keep a male and 3 females of the same species or remove a pair to a smaller breeding tank.

Hmoobthor

I would not recommend mixing species of apistos...even in a super large tank. Is it possible to do? Sure. The possibility of the species cross breeding would be there; I'd rather see a male with a couple of females and some dithers in a tank the size you are suggesting.

Good luck!

You can mix what ever you like. Just make sure either get all female or males.

I keep rams, cockatoo, agazzi, keyholes in my 55g.

dpien

5 Year Member
Hi, it is possible. For example, I have successfully kept together a breeding pair of A. steindachneri and a pair of A. iniridae for about a year now, in a 60L tank with plenty of hiding places!
The most important thing to remember about apisto's (and any cichlids for that matter) is observation observation observation.. You can't predict individual behaviour beforehand, but through careful observation you can intervene at the right time, if necessary. Some individuals can just surprise you and get along relatively peacefully with no harm to each other at all and others can, for reasons not always understandable to us humans, just be out to murder each other wihin a particular setting!! As an apisto keeper, it is therefore also essential to have plan B, C etc. in place, usually implemented by having always several tanks (space!) so that you can readily move and separate fish when necessary.

tuna

5 Year Member
I have a 33 gal (4ft) with a divider on one side baenschi and the other veijitas.
They both bred and I found all the fry on one side there was a small crack they passed through. Now I have to wait til they grow up to separate. I won't be doing that again.

Pchavez

Thank you very much for the helpful replies, I will definitely have plan B/C ready if needed. :biggrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….