• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Juruensis? ID please..

burak

5 Year Member
Hello everyone!

I recently bought this apistogramma, as Apistogramma Juruensis. Is it correct? I think that it is Apistogramma Juruensis "Nanay", am I correct?
thanks for your help:)

s5003162bh1.jpg

s5003130kv0.jpg

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,
I recently bought this apistogramma, as Apistogramma Juruensis. Is it correct? I think that it is Apistogramma Juruensis "Nanay", am I correct?

No, I don't think so. This is A. cacatuoides.
At A. juruensis the caudal spot is clearly separated from the lateral band.

I think, this is a (really beautiful) breeding form. I had the same a while ago, also bought as A. juruensis and I was told, they are from czech breeders.

Compare to mine:
apistogramma_cacatuoides_4.jpg

regards,
Rolo

burak

5 Year Member
Thanks for your comment Rolo.

I was suspicious about it being a Cacatuoides at first glance, however the pictures of Ap. Juruensis "Nanay" miss directed me to this wrong result. Unfortunately, here we can not see different Apistogramma arts very often. I have never seen a Juruensis alive before :redface: So, I still think it is a beautiful form :) Is there any specific name for this special form? Did you observe any differences in behaviors concerning this form and the other cacatuoides forms ( double, triple-red etc.)?

Here is my Cacatuoides male. After your comment, I can really see that they resemble each other very much..

s5003184xz8.jpg

s5003183xn6.jpg

burak

5 Year Member
I have to agree with Rolo. It is A. cacatuoides. It is often called a Blue Cacatuoides.

Thank you for the information Mike;
Blue Cacatuoides is for me a new species too, it is not a problem. I hope this little couple gets into breeding action very soon :redface:

Thank you all for your interest mates..

burak

5 Year Member
Technically it is not a new species for you. It is a new color strain.

:redface: Sorry for the wrong usage of the term of "species". You are absolutely right. I am familiar with cacatuoides. :) I had red strains, and now blue ones, cool!

Thank you for the correction also. Thats how I will improve both my knowledge on Apistos and also on English too :rolleyes:

burak

5 Year Member
Today I found 2 pictures on the internet; they were labeled as Juruensis "Nanay". These teo pictures brought me to the idea of that my apistos were juruensis.

What do you think? Are they mis-labeled? Or is there a difference that I can not see between these fish and mines?
juruensis2bv8.jpg

juruensismale1gq9.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
So far all "Juruensis Nanay" (= A. sp. Black-chin/Schwarzkinn) have a red-orange lower lip. All true A. juruensis (and most A. cacatuoides) have a blue lower lip. This, of course, should not be considered definitive for identification. Too many apistos are polychromatic. Color usually is not a definitive identification feature. The bottom fish is typical of A. sp. Black-chin/Schwarzkinn. The top fish might be A. juruensis, but a distinct separation of the lateral band and the caudal spot (if it has one) cannot be seen on the photo. The caudal spot on A. juruensis typically is a horizontally oriented rectangle. The possible spot on the top fish seems to be oriented more vertically. I simply need a better photo of the fish that shows a distinct lateral band/caudal spot.

You own fish definitely are a form of A. cacatuoides. Note that the widening of the lateral band at the base of the tail is more round than rectangular - and it is not completely separated from the lateral band.

burak

5 Year Member
Thank you Mr. Mike;

Now I really understand what the distinctions between my apisto and real Juruensis are. Great info, great explanation! Thank you very much.

Bytheway my old Juri - new Blue Cacatouides have a buch of swimming fries now :) They are smaller than the usual fries of my Cacatouides double/triple red. I hope I can keep as much fries alive as possible from this first time :)

cichlidfied

5 Year Member
I bought some Apisto Caucatoides (forgive the spelling) aka cockatoos from the lfs here. F-0 very nice for $12 each. Well I get them home and 3 weeks later I'm back in the lfs and the sign on the aquarium now reads apisto juruensis and caucatoides. I think I might have a male of one type and 2 females of the other. Are these 2 species able to interbreed?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If by "F-0" you mean wildcaught fish, then it is highly unlikely that your LFS has A. juruensis. These 2 species are not collected together. What makes you think that you have 2 species? It is more likely that A. cacatuoides got mixed with A. sp. Black-chin/Schwarzkinn somewhere in shipment.

To answer your question about crossbreeding: yes it might be possible for the 2 species to cross, but it is highly unlikely. A. juruensis is a true blackwater species, while A. cacatuoides comes from whitewater streams.

cichlidfied

5 Year Member
If by "F-0" you mean wildcaught fish, then it is highly unlikely that your LFS has A. juruensis. These 2 species are not collected together. What makes you think that you have 2 species? It is more likely that A. cacatuoides got mixed with A. sp. Black-chin/Schwarzkinn somewhere in shipment.

To answer your question about crossbreeding: yes it might be possible for the 2 species to cross, but it is highly unlikely. A. juruensis is a true blackwater species, while A. cacatuoides comes from whitewater streams.

He said their tails are different. They have spots on their tails. My male has the spots on his tail. The females don't. I'll look @ getting some pictures tonight and posting them later.

cichlidfied

5 Year Member
Wow these fish are not photogenic lol.

Yes F-0 aka wild caught. Here's what I have.

The female
100_1121.jpg

The male
100_1124.jpg

BTW Love the site! I've been a member of cichlid-forum for 4 years now. It's good to see a site specializing in my new favorite cichlid.

I do have a soft spot for my tang shellie tank too though:)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You have a lovely colored pair of wild type A. cacatuoides. As you can see in your photos, neither fish has a caudal spot that is entirely separated from the lateral band. Both A. juruensis & A. sp. Schwarzkinn/Black-chin will show an entirely separated caudal spot. BTW I can't think of any cacatuoides-group species that doesn't have a spotted caudal fin. Not all species have the black ringed ocelli commonly seen domestic A. cacatuoides, however. Not even all populations of A. cacatuoides in the wild have ocelli. Yours are one of these.

Evan

5 Year Member
So...I have been watching this thread for a while now thinking that my "juruensis" were really Schwarzkinn but now that I read these last two posts I think that I too have cacatuoides.

What do you guys think?

apistogramma%20cacatuoides%20maybe-1.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….