• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this a male A. cacatuoides?

curviceps

5 Year Member
Hello

I bought this cac thinking it was a male, being the most colourful in a tank of mostly females. Now I'm not so sure - the pelvic fin seems quite dark (at times) and the body does seem quite yellow, although not as yellow as the other females from the same source. When first introduced into the tank, it was quite noticeably grey.

It is still quite young, perhaps 1.5 to 2 inches long.

Please have a look at the pics - what do you think? Male or female?

cac1.jpg

cac2.jpg

cac3.jpg

cac4.jpg

curviceps

5 Year Member
Thanks all. Apologies regarding the links, worked from my computer, but obviously not for everyone else.

After posting these pics, I also heard some rumours that this particular LFS (not in the USA, by the way) feeds "White Crane" food with contains PSB, and apparently causes females to colour up like males (which is temporary and should go away after this food is no longer fed) and could make them sterile or less likely to spawn.

Oh well...

Has anyone heard about this type of food? Sounds like this type of food should not be allowed to be sold.

element

5 Year Member
now that you mention it maybe it is female. check out the black edging on those stubby little ventral fins.

curviceps

5 Year Member
yeah, that's what got me suspicious in the first place (i mentioned in my original post on this subject that the pelvic - or ventral - fins seemed a bit black).

anyway, so i may have got myself a strange one

Griz

5 Year Member
I had a female that began to look more and more like a male as she aged. At around 2 1/2 years old I think she could have fooled many people into thinking she was a male. She had red colouration on her caudal dorsal and anal fins and even prominent red tips on the dorsal rays. Unfortunately I never got a really good pic of her but she did bear some similarity to your fish. Althought I would guess that your fish is a male, I wouldn't be too certain.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Since this fish is still quite young & small, it still has some juvenile characteristics - like black on the ventral fins. Griz's female was fairly old had reached the equivalent of menopause in fish, where the female takes on some masculine traits. These are 2 different effects. Give the fish about 2 months. If it doesn't develop extended dorsal fin lappets by then, then it probably is a female!

Griz

5 Year Member
You're quite right Mike. I just reread the original post and I should have seen that this was a young fish. Thanks for clearing that up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….