• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is Black Diamond safe for German Blue Rams?

Mostlydave

Just like the title says is black diamond sandblasting sand safe for German Blue Ram Cichlids? I'm doing some research before setting up a new tank and I'm reall thinking about going with black diamond for substrate.

I'm planning on this being a low tech low cost natural looking tank!

gerald

5 Year Member
Here's a bit of info on coal slag sand (e.g. Black Diamond). http://www.ensioresources.com/Learning_Center/coal_slag.html
Ive been wondering too whether it may leach things that could cause long-term problems (copper, arsenic, etc) or whether the shape/texture may be dangerous for sand-sifting fish. It is "inert" and "safe" enough to pass test for human use (sandblasting) but that may not tell us everything about its long-term safety in an aquarium.

mstamper

I am using Black Diamond in my 20 long shrimp tank and in my 6.6 bookshelf tank. Both of those tanks have some of my most stable water parameters of all my tanks. Both of those tanks are low tech planted tanks and they do fine.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have used it in the past, but I do not like it because it is less dense than gravel... which means that it is hard to 'vacuum'. It is also very sharp, and there are very fine particles, so I would not want to keep it with sand-sifting (earth eating) fish.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….