• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID's on some Agassizii's and eunotus please

Jholden

5 Year Member
This first one I picked up at this years ACA auction. The bag was marked 2 agassizii's. I lost the other one. It was male also. After countless hours surfing thru images on the web I think it is from either from rio nanay or Rio Jari.
agassizii_ACA2.jpg

Second one a friend gave me.. I know nothing about it.
agassizii_brian02.jpg

This eunotus came from the ACA auction as well.
eunotus_ACA1.jpg

Thanks much
-Jay

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nice fish. One comment: never put a locality name on any fish unless you know for certain that it, or it ancestors, came from that location. Using color morphs or other physical terms is fine, but not location names.

Jholden

5 Year Member
Well see. thats the thing.. I dont know where their from.. I was just stating possibilities from what ive read/seen on the web.. I was hoping someone here (like yourself) could tell me something about these fish. Name ID, where they may be from, Are they wild or domestic? etc. Sorry if i worded it wrong.. I want to know a little about them. Because I really like the the variation in the first pic and would like to breed it. I like the elongated rear dorsal streamer and the red in the dorsal spike tips that create a red line on a very streamline dorsal fin. I realize one cant just say if a fish is wild or not just from picture but maybe there are certain characteristics that come from certain locales that could help me find some females. I do understand what your saying though and would never pass fish/offspring off as being from a certain locale without knowing for sure where they were collected. Thats how miss ID's get started..

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
OK, Jay this is the best information that I can give you:

A. cf. eunotus (Orangeschwanz/Orangetail) is a species found around Iquitos, Peru. It occurs in white/clearwater biotopes and is easily bred in moderately soft (<10º dGH/KH) ~pH6.5-7.0.

A. agassizii: your fish, in the photos, are the typical (type) form of A. agassizii that is found from the Río Marañon (Peru) to the Rio Negro (Brazil).This species inhabits mostly clearwater or a mix of clear/blackwater. I find a pH to around 6.2-6.5 and water that's fairly soft (< 5º dGH; < 3º dKH) works well for breeding. It is a highly polychromatic species. Offspring from the same spawn often show different color patterns on the body and fins. It takes time to "fix" a specific color pattern on them. The problem is picking the right female that carries the preferred color pattern, since they all look alike.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….