• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID: Need help with "Steel Blue" female

mikeylman

Hey guys,

I was at my LFS and ran into a tank of "Steel Blues". They were gorgeous and I love dwarf cichlids so I decided to pickup what looked to be the best male (out of probbaly 20) and the only female.

Well - since adding them to my tank they've colored up quite nicely and do a great job "standing up" to all the others in there including RAMS, A. Cacatuoides, Keyholes and discus. Tough little guys!

The female is a BEAUTIFUL golden yellow with super black ventrals and has staked out a nice Japonica bush that she will not allow the 'male' to approach. The male doesn't seem interested in courting her even though she's obvioulsy showing colors.

I am new to Apisto keeping but from what I've read, a female in this coloration is ready to find a mate. However, if these are true "Steel Blues"... males and female are not visually sexually dimorphic (from what I've read yesterday). My female looks to me more like Inka that may have slipped into this shipment. Please see attached pics and share your thoughts.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20121017_131908.jpg
    20121017_131908.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 405
  • 20121017_131914.jpg
    20121017_131914.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 389
  • 20121017_132041.jpg
    20121017_132041.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 382
  • 20121017_132050.jpg
    20121017_132050.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 383

mikeylman

Sorry for the terrible pics but the little buggers wouldn't stay still and she spends most of her time in the Japonica bush. She came out at that time to chase the blue boy away.

sumluvu1314

5 Year Member
You are lucky !! You got yourself a Female and male. However, it's a apisto inka 50 female and a apisto borelli steel blue male !!

mikeylman

You are lucky !! You got yourself a Female and male. However, it's a apisto inka 50 female and a apisto borelli steel blue male !!

Yes? Does that mean they are compatible? She is about the most beautiful fish I've ever had. I do feel lucky!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
"Sumluvu" is correct, he is a "Steel-blue" (they have nothing to do with A. borellii, although that is often the label they are sold under), she is A. baenschi. <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Apistogramma_sp_Steel_blue.php>

Female Steel-blue is similar to the male, but has much less/no blue on the face and goes a clear yellow, once you see a female it is quite obvious she is a female. <
> & <
>

The ones I kept were very aggressive, and also came with Camallanus worms (which may partially account for the agression).

cheers Darrel

mikeylman

Hi Darrel,

Thanks so much! Your reply was very helpful. Its certain that I'll need to go out and buy their respective mates now.

merlin

5 Year Member
Nice video of the steel blues. Mine where behaving very much the same then came home at night and she had killed the male. Still have fry growing on but seem to be quite slow growinhg

Derek

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….