• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID Help Please

Gillie

5 Year Member
Is this A.Pulchra?
newphotos235.jpg

Rolo

5 Year Member
Is this A.Pulchra?

Interesting fish....

At first look, I would say it is A. pulchra.
But the pretty wide lateral band is typical for A. sp. "Abacaxis/Wilhelmi", but then the also typical purple mouth colouration is missing.
Nevertheless I would say, that the wide lateral band is more essential for the species determination, so I think it's a colour form of A. sp. "Abacaxis/Wilhelmi" ...or maybe a (cross?) breeding form of it. Do you have information about its origin?

regards,
Rolo

Gillie

5 Year Member
Interesting. When I found him he was in a tank of Erythura and the man that breeds those, has a very similar fish that came in wild under the name sp. Peru.

I just don't see Abacaxis at all with the lack of facial coloring and a blue anal fin instead of a yellow one.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There are a lot of pulchra-like fish. One photo is not good enough for an accurate ID. Do you have other photos of the fish? Do you have photos of the female? Is this a wildcaught fish? A. erythura occurs in the same general area as A. pulchra. To me, based only on the one photo, it reminds me of A. cf. pulchra Chingarno but I would not be surprised if it is pulchra or Abacaxis or a cross.

Gillie

5 Year Member
I do have more photos to post, it was really late when I posted. I have a few more up later.
As far as I know they most likely came in with the Erythura, but I would have to call to be sure. I currently do not have a female and getting one may be hard. The breeder wasn't keen on letting any go the first time I was in, but I may be able to get in there to get a few shots of his.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

Just to be an smart-ass: :biggrin: (...because you both made it wrong)

There's another "r" in A. erythrura. :cool:

best regards,
Rolo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….