• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I have Checkerboard fry!

Orchid

5 Year Member
Once again, the checkerboard layed eggs two days ago and this morning they were broken open. But this time, I found where the mother stashed her babies! I got fry! I got fry! I got fry! :D :D :D

What do I do with them now? I have Liquifry and a net breeder on order and if Fedex ever finds my shipment, then I will have them to use. When do I start feeding them. Right now they look like....like....well, they aren't moving around much, kinda just clumped up on an anubias leaf with little tails. I'll set up a shrimpery tonight, but is there anything else I can feed them besides bb and Liquifry? I've read about finely ground flake, but what about some of the vitamin formulas like Freshwater Zoe.

Neil

Orchid,

I got fry! I got fry! I got fry!

I have 1 question: Do you have fry!? :p

That is really cool, but ease back a little and don't start getting to far ahead of things. You female layed 2 days ago. They hatched today (probably). You still have about 5 days before they will be free-swimming.
You can pull the female and the fry or just the fry or leave them in there, but you are not going to have to deal with feeding for a few days yet. As discussed before, to have success with filamentosa, you will need to give them some small food to start with. liquifry is good, but so is the types of food that you feed the microfauna in your reef - goldenpearls, invert or coral food,etc. You won't need much. I would feed about 3 times/day. with 2 different thing (2 liquifry/ 1 GP) for about 3 to 5 days. Then start adding BBS. If you want you could start a batch now and feed the tank BBS on Sat. The ones left over will create an infusoria base. So if you squirt near where the fry are they will have some micro critters to munch first thing. I wouldn't use much of anything because you want to guard against fouling the area that they are in. I wouldn't use Zoe unless you dipped you other type of food in it. Don't be afraid to use stuff that you are accustom with in Reefkeeping. A little bit of DTs might even work, although I have never tried it.
Don't spend anymore time than you have to disturbing the tank. Dicrossus can be a little skidish.
Keep us updated and good luck.
I guess you have something else to be thankful for today besides the meal! :D
Neil

Orchid

5 Year Member
Neil,

Yah, you're right about the skittish part, I guess I was too giddy from all the pumpkin pie and whipped cream, but I kept checking on her and showing others the fry. Well, she's moved them. They've been spotted on the other side of the driftwood, but I haven't been able to find them.

Geese, this poor mama checkerboard just can't catch a break what with the marauding cory cats and an overzealous person. :(

What I have observed between the male and the female checkerboards is the female will aggressively chase the male and any other fish away from the specific area the eggs/fry are in and he will chase all other fish out of the general area. But at the worm cone during feeding time, she swims up to him and gives him little nibbles on his side. The juvy male checkerboard stays on the opposite end of the tank.

Thanks for all the info on the food, I would never have thought to use reef products. 8O I'm not sure if I want to seperate the babies from the mama just yet, she seems so gentle and devoted to them, I know they will have to be pulled soon, though.

Orchid

5 Year Member
Neil,

The copepods don't last long in freshwater, maybe seconds. BB does better in that respect.

The mama checkerboard keeps moving her babies, even when left alone. They are starting to look like little fishies! :). If she is able to spawn 1.5 to 2 weeks after laying a batch of eggs, are these fry in danger of being eaten by her when this time has occured? She doesn't seem like she is filling up with eggs again, but I'd hate to lose this batch when it has come so far. I've been reading some of the husbandry posts and now am wondering if the babies might eat each other like some of the post have indicated with other cichlid sp. Once these babies are free swimming will they be ok in one of those hang on net breeders?

Neil

If she is able to spawn 1.5 to 2 weeks after laying a batch of eggs, are these fry in danger of being eaten by her when this time has occured?

Yes, but it is more likely that she will hold off if she is guarding fry. If you are concerned, remove the male. He is what will get her to want to clear house to make room for a new spawn.

now am wondering if the babies might eat each other

Don't worry. They won't eat each other. Your biggest concern is getting appropriate food to them. It is about time to start preparing for that. Did your stuff come from you lost shipment?
Neil

Orchid

5 Year Member
Neil,

I just got my shipment in this evening! :)

The babies are all free swimming. Their mom is herding them around, it is so cute :lol:! I am gonna squirt some Liquifry into them, or at least try.

Yesterday I seperated them from the mother and put them in a pantyhose covered net breeder and somehow, during the night, the mother got most of the babies out of there. There was two deceased babies and the Boreli's had been stalking the net breeder all evening, so if she could remove them, I am sure they could, too. :cry: She had to pull them through the stocking, but how is quite beyond me:?. She must be a good mother to want them that much. The male is taking more of an interest in guarding them from the other fish, too. He even gets very close and watches them, I hope he is not trying to nab a few for a snack 8O! But it really does seem like he is watching out for his progeny.

I guess I will leave the parents and the babies together a bit longer. I fear for them because it is a community tank. But at least I can finally get the breeder tank set up for them. :)

How old should the babies be before I put them into a growout tank? I was thinking a ten gallon tank with java moss and fern, no gravel. If you have any ideas or experience, I would love to learn them. By the way, if you look real close, you can see their little checkerboard pattern, they are so tiny, like little mysis shrimp! They are so darn cute! I hope these babies get to grow up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….