• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hydra invading

Groovy Jeff

I have been feeding BBS and now I have hydra in my tanks. I have two tanks with fry, A linei and A atahualpa, and they seem to be doing fine; however, I don't wan tot let this go either. I am only keeping Apisto at this point and I still consider myself a beginner, so not sure how the fish would respond to Mardel Clout?? Any suggestions?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I have been feeding BBS and now I have hydra in my tanks. I have two tanks with fry, A linei and A atahualpa, and they seem to be doing fine; however, I don't wan tot let this go either. I am only keeping Apisto at this point and I still consider myself a beginner, so not sure how the fish would respond to Mardel Clout?? Any suggestions?
If it is available where you are "Fenbendazole" is good for Hydra.

In the UK I bought Panacur tablets (a cat wormer), these were 22% Fenbendazole.

It is a really low dosage, you need 0.1g in 38 litres (~10 American gallons). I crushed it up in a pestle and mortar and weighed it out on a scientific balance. I used 0.2g on a 60 x 30 x 38cm tank.

If you don't have a balance I would crush up the full 1g satchet, and then subdivide it into the appropriate number of equally sized divisions by eye (so into 5 piles for a tank of my size).

cheers Darrel

Bart Hazes

I've had hydra in breeding boxes and tanks where I was feeding a lot of BBS. Once I stopped feeding it the hydra spontaneously disappeared. I didn't find the hydra to be an issue, apart from stealing some of the BBS, and they are actually quite pretty if you get your magnifying glass out. Maybe it is a different story if fry are less than 2 weeks old when they aren't vigorous swimmers yet, but I'd rather lose some BBS to the hydra than lose fry to the medication.

Bart

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I've had hydra in breeding boxes and tanks where I was feeding a lot of BBS. Once I stopped feeding it the hydra spontaneously disappeared.
I mainly ignore them, but I feed a lot of live food, Daphnia, Micro-worms, Grindal Worms, Mosquito larvae etc. and I find that every couple of years I have a fairly obvious "Hydra viridis" tank.

I assume because they have photosynthetic symbiont (Chlorella) that they can subsist without catching much in the way of zooplankton.

Eventually I treat them with fenbendazole (it also kills Planaria) and it is another couple of years before I need a repeat treatment.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

Groovy Jeff

Darrel- Fry in the one tank are about 1 month old and swim well; do you think a treatment will harm them?

gerald

5 Year Member
FLUbendazole also works well against Hydra, according to Charles Harrison. Not sure how it compares to FENbendazole in terms of safety to Apisto fry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….