• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to tell sp miua and mendezi females apart

Neil

Fisherking,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I am sure this is not what you wanted to hear, but they are so similar that I would not want to keep the 2 species together. The sub-lateral markings, caudal peduncle and fin development are almost interchangeable. The best advice that i could give you is to put a male of one of the 2 in with them. He may be more interested or aggressive to a female of his own species.
I have not personally seen full adults of either, but I do have a spawn from miua and have sub-adult mendezi. There may be some minor differences that show up in full maturity. We'll see. Good luck with this one, if in fact you have them together.
Neil

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mendezi females have a series of horizontal lines beneatht the lateral lines. Miaua Females dont. Miaua females look more like agazzisi females

Neil

I have a couple miua females right now that have a row or 2 of goldish scales under the lateral line. Under this is shaded sub-lateral lines that are very similar to mendezi in various moods. males have distinct sub-lateral lines.
I will try to take a few pics of these fish, but I have been so busy for weeks now with other stuff, I haven't even considered about adding anything more to my plate. I will see what I can do in the next few days.
Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….