• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How do I lower my ph

apisto_shores

5 Year Member
Hello all, I'm trying to lower my ph in my 40 gal. It is densly planted
with a single piece of wood, two coconut shells and 1 overturned
clay pot with a hole drilled in it. I have a 3 layer substrate; bottom layer
is flouramax,middle layer is the ecocomplete and top layer is fine
gravel. I have an eheim canister filter with lavrock for bioload and
coarse pads as well but also put in peat moss from Home Depot.
Peat moss was added yesterday(7-28-04) and I checked my ph this
morning(7-29-04) and still at 7.0. All water used is tap water. I don't
have an r/o system cost too much and I would like to refrain from
using chemicals. Does any have any ideas? I'm trying to breed my
Cacauoides.Thanks.

Apistt_ed

there shouldn't even be a problem breeding cacatuoides in that water.. One of the greatest things about A. Cacatuoides is that their eggs to develope in water of neutral ph (7,0). I have a spawn that has just "hatched". They are in a tank that is planted and with a few dithers, ph is 7,0 and they have been absolutely fine. A. Cacatuoides isn't necessarily a soft water species and do fine. Feed them well with protein rich foods and the female will develope plenty of eggs. good luck ... keep us posted. If you really wanted to lower the ph... and it's a must, try peat moss. Make sure it's non-fertilized peat. If you do a search on this forum, using the word peat moss, you'll find all the posts that will help you out. keep us posted on your progress.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
According to Romers Atlas, cacatuoides prefer pH to be only slightly acidic.

This species typically hails from white or clearwater habitats...White or clearwater generally has a pH of 6.5 - 8.0

Having said that, I had a pair of stubborn cacs that finally spawned after doing a 10% water change using peat water. It didn't change the parms much, but it seemed to stimulate them. But again, that could have been coincidence. They may be just slow.

You might get results by frequent water changes and a good rich food like CBWs or other live food.

Michael

aspen

5 Year Member
everyone here has different water. experiment with yours in a bucket, till you get it right and that you can maintain it without bouncing around like mine does- not in your apisto tank. that is a sure way to have problems with your fish.

rick

B

balacam

commercially available pH down may contain sulphuric acid or phosphate. I have personally used apple cider vinegar to lower the pH of water. so far all the fishes look ok.

mervin

5 Year Member
here in Singapore apistogramma hobbist ususally use peat moss or "Indian Almond" leaves.

some who want instant results will use ADA Aquasoil.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….