• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hongsloi breeding???

Subtle Aquatics

Alright guys before I go use the search function. I've only successfully bred trifasciata in a high tech planted tank. But I'm going to be setting up a tank for breeding my hongsloi I have acquired in the last three weeks. They are a pair for sure. I'm a little iffy on how I want to set the breeding tank up so I'll give you the specs of what I am considering and maybe you could help out a bit.

Mr aqua 11.4 rimless
Amazonia new substrate
Breeding cave
Finnex ham 100watt heater
Dual sponge or internal filter?????
Finnex epoch clip light with 5k bulb for low tech plants??
Ial litter
Alder cones
Some low tech plants

Conditioning feed schedule
Frozen
-mysis shrimp
-blood worms
-carnivore mix
-brine shrimp with spirulina
Flake
-cichlid pellets from angelsplus.com
-fluval protein/omega one color flake mix

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. hongsloi can get some size and mass. IMHO your tank is too small. Can it be used? Yes, but don't be surprised if you lose one of the 'pair'. And, why use a 100W heater?

Subtle Aquatics

I do realize that the female gets almost hyper aggressive after spawning and have room in a other tank to remove the male. I've bred cacatuoides and tri in a ten gallon successfully without any loss. 11.4 shouldn't be a problem. I'm using a 100watt heater because that's what I have on hand. No point to buy a new heater when you have one right? Besides it has a thermostat and is fully functional so it shouldn't be a problem over heating or not heating enough.

I don't breed like mOst to make money, I breed to see the beauty and nature of it as well as the accomplishment and self satisfaction it brings with the husbandry.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm using a 100watt heater because that's what I have on hand. No point to buy a new heater when you have one right? Besides it has a thermostat and is fully functional so it shouldn't be a problem over heating or not heating enough.

Famous last words.:( I've experienced and heard of stuck thermostats too many times to chance my fish again - even on the best heaters. I now keep my fish room heated and rarely use individual heaters. When I do, I use the 2W/gal/5°F increase above ambient temperature formula for the ideal heater wattage. I know that many can't heat their tanks this way, but the proper wattage with daily checks on temperatures is a good habit to have.

Subtle Aquatics

This is true. Unfortunatly, we live with my in laws and do not have a heater or a a.c. But I do routine maintenance and checks on my tanks daily. So should there be a problem I'm home 90% of the time.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….