• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi There, New To Apistos

H

homebrewed

Hello
I've been keeping fish since '99 which has, up until now, consisted of mainly predatory fish and larger cichlids. Now I've discovered the joys in keeping smaller fish and have decided to start working with apistos and bettas along with my preds.
I recently grabbed a juvi group of 5 apistogramma agazzi which are currently growing out in a 5 gallon planted tank, and 4 pairs of apistogramma cacatuoides (triple reds).
For bettas I've started off with some plakats, half moons, and recently grabbed a group of Betta Pugnax.
Aside from all of those I'm keeping a colony of burundi fronts, koi, angels, 5 different species of polypterus (bichirs), assorted S.A. cats, and misc. fancy plecos.

Apisto Mike

5 Year Member
Hi, and welcome to forums Apsitogramma. This place is THE place to come to for breeding info, everyone here seems very knowledgable.

Do you by chance breed Hypancistrus zebra?

H

homebrewed

I wish :)

But I know someone around here who is and someone who is currently working with a group.

Apisto Mike

5 Year Member
Very nice. I was considering getting some but the lfs that has them all the time wants $230 for them, and my pleco connection that always has them for less then a $100 is out go figure.

H

homebrewed

I hope to work with them in the future, but being a full time student really puts a damper on anything that costs more then $20 :p :(

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Everyone who has an interest in Zebra Plecos (Hypancistrus zebra) should seriously consider breeding them. A friend of mine, who lives in Brazil, reports that the government has already listed this fish as "extinct in the wild" - as a precursor to destroying the habitat of this species behind a hydroelectric dam. After the dam is completed, it certainly will be extinct in the wild - along with a lot of other fish from the middle Rio Xingu! It appears that the Brazilian government has other methods it will be using to promote more of these projects. Stay tuned, more to come.

Apisto Mike

5 Year Member
I know exactly what you mean Homebrewed. Thats why I get my step-dad to buy all my fish for me :)

Mike, do you think yo could post some info on breeding Hypancistrus zebra. If I knew how hard/easy they were i comparison to to apistos, as well as how to breed them; I may find an empty 20 gallon or 2 for a half dozen of them or so. Have you heard anything about the Endler being extinct or endangered in the wild as well. I did a while back but cant remember where.

H

homebrewed

Mike Wise said:
Everyone who has an interest in Zebra Plecos (Hypancistrus zebra) should seriously consider breeding them. A friend of mine, who lives in Brazil, reports that the government has already listed this fish as "extinct in the wild" - as a precursor to destroying the habitat of this species behind a hydroelectric dam. After the dam is completed, it certainly will be extinct in the wild - along with a lot of other fish from the middle Rio Xingu! It appears that the Brazilian government has other methods it will be using to promote more of these projects. Stay tuned, more to come.

Devastating news :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….