• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi everyone, What have I got?

TeeCee

IMG_6947.jpeg
IMG_6935.jpeg
IMG_6945.jpeg
IMG_2830.jpeg

MacZ

Apistogramma macmasteri. All of them. Some domestic (first two pictures), some wild type, some indecisive.

FishEZ

5 Year Member
First two pictures are also A. macmasteri, but they are the red-shouldered "Gold" form. I have 3 pairs of them, so I recognized them right away.

anewbie

First two pictures are also A. macmasteri, but they are the red-shouldered "Gold" form. I have 3 pairs of them, so I recognized them right away.
He meant no idea on the sex; the process of making some of these domestic strains make sex identification more difficult.

FishEZ

5 Year Member
He meant no idea on the sex; the process of making some of these domestic strains make sex identification more difficult.
Oh, sorry. Not in condition to sex the first two photos. But I was at the LFS today and they had two tanks of Apistogramma viejita and they looked just like macmasteri to me. I'm not sure of the difference so will have to do more investigation.

MacZ

But I was at the LFS today and they had two tanks of Apistogramma viejita and they looked just like macmasteri to me. I'm not sure of the difference so will have to do more investigation.
You don't have to. It's widely known that domestic A. macmasteri are often falsely sold as A. viejita. And it's often on purpose to get more money out of cheap massproduced strains.

PistUp

Apistogramma macmasteri. All of them. Some domestic (first two pictures), some wild type, some indecisive.
Please can you specify which ones you see as wild type and which you are indecisive about? It will satisfy my curiosity and help my learning

MacZ

It’s criminal, and they shouldn’t be allowed to do it!
They technically are not allowed, because in effect it's false advertising. But nobody checks on wrong labeling in pet stores and the net worth of the damage to the individual buyer is so negligible, it's not worth taking it to court. Labeling is a general problem in stores, often this task is done by assistants with little to no experience and mainly they just copy the names in the stock lists. Once a tradename has taken foot... well, then they are stuck.
So it's always just best to select fish before even going to the store and having either a list of possible alternatives or you are able to resist the urge to buy at least something if the fish you want are not available or bad quality.

Please can you specify which ones you see as wild type and which you are indecisive about? It will satisfy my curiosity and help my learning
Last picture. If they still have to colour up, they could be domestic, if the colouration stays that way, bascially wild type. (not wild caught!)

Last edited:

FishEZ

5 Year Member
Labeling is a general problem in stores, often this task is done by assistants with little to no experience and mainly they just copy the names in the stock lists. Once a tradename has taken foot... well, then they are stuck.
The actual fault for mistaken identity is not always the LFS, either, I have seen many times that the incorrect fish arrive although ordered correctly on paper. I bought 30 mascara barbs (D. asimilis) only to find out a few days after I got home that they were rohani barbs (D. rohani). The response to the mistake is that "they were sold to us as mascara barbs".

The fish I saw labeled as A. viejita are definitely macmasteri to me, but shop owner says one tank of fish was sent as viejita, the other as macmasteri. His source said 'you can tell the difference by a small black dot at the caudal peduncle', but both tanks have the dot as one sees in the last picture above. The shop owner was asking me my opinion because he couldn't believe there was an actual difference. He didn't mention if he paid more for the viejita's than for the macmasteri, but I will ask when I go back.

MacZ

The actual fault for mistaken identity is not always the LFS, either, I have seen many times that the incorrect fish arrive although ordered correctly on paper. I bought 30 mascara barbs (D. asimilis) only to find out a few days after I got home that they were rohani barbs (D. rohani). The response to the mistake is that "they were sold to us as mascara barbs".
That's what I meant with stock lists. It can be at any stage in the chain. Importer, Wholesale, Retail... doesn't matter really. But it happens. I have narrowed down my sources to stores that buy from decent importers and wholesale. Not only no wrong IDs since, but better variety and quality. I haven't lost a fish to a disease in a while. Only old age and accidents.

The fish I saw labeled as A. viejita are definitely macmasteri to me, but shop owner says one tank of fish was sent as viejita, the other as macmasteri. His source said 'you can tell the difference by a small black dot at the caudal peduncle', but both tanks have the dot as one sees in the last picture above. The shop owner was asking me my opinion because he couldn't believe there was an actual difference. He didn't mention if he paid more for the viejita's than for the macmasteri, but I will ask when I go back.
I'm pretty sure if he admits he can't see a difference himself, he's not happy about that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….