• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hey everybody

naggur

5 Year Member
hey there!

just cose I'm an rookie at dwaefs I want to know every thing about apisto, micro and ect. I got my 1st fwarf two weeks ago and really like this fish type ( I begun with glodfish then livebreaders and tetras), but I was wondering what is the minimum size tank for 1 fish ( knowing there is no max size tank) what I should look for if and when I get new fish, what kind of cichlids I can mix to geather ( only dwarfs), terretoy size and ect.

another thing isn't scill level something I should follow or is't b.s. ( sorry the language)?

scott

5 Year Member
naggur,

sorry noone has answered your question yet. i'll do my best to give you some info. ideally i like to use 20gal long tanks to house my dwarves. what i usually do is get six juveniles, let them pair of naturally and depending on the species move the pair to their own 10 or 20 gal tank. in a 20 i sometimes keep a trio with some target fish. in a 10 i would only keep a pair. i suppose you could keep a single fish in a 5 but it wouldn't be very interesting as you would not be able to see its natural behaviors as it interacts with other fish. dwarves are much more interesting when kept in groups or at the very least pairs. and to answer your question about mixing species, i don't think it's a very good idea as cichlids can become very agressive at spawnig time and the more agressive species will surely terrorize (probably kill)the more peaceful species. this is just my opinion based on my own experiences, others may say you can mix species in very large tanks. i hope this helps a little.

scott

naggur

5 Year Member
thanks scott,

I got my ram inan 2g tank ( bigger on the way) and in this really smal tank I got neon swordtail ( who grumpy is slowly killin thank god) and sh**brown snail I found out 2 days ago what sex grump is cose by accident I pushed an mirror at the side of the tank and :eek: dorsal went nearly over his mouth and other fins where extended ( prob. an winner in photo contest) this post rep. helped me alot about the size tank isue I have with my bal and chane cose she dont under stand my hobby :frown:

scott

5 Year Member
i guess that i'm very lucky to have an understanding wife. she enjoys watching this fish as well so she lets me do what i want, as long as its not too expensive of course! is you fish altispinosa or ramirezi. i am assuming its a. remirezi by your last post. if so they are much mor delicate than a. altispinosa and require soft acidic water to successfully spawn. in a 2g tank make sure you keep up on your water changes as water quality can drop very quickly the smaller the tank is. good luck with your fish (and your wife)just kidding!

naggur

5 Year Member
a.altispinosa. I was hopin to get german blue (more colours). about the water changes I take aprox. 1/2 gallon every morning and after noon and replace back 1/2 gallon (mixture of hot and cold whater) I got an really old air pump, no heater, no ligth fix and the cleaner is f**ked up (tank name is waterhome 2) how ever several nites ago I cougth my lady opservin the fish ( both of them that is boliv. ram and the boring swordtail)

scott

5 Year Member
if she's watching the fish it's just a matter of time before you win her over. next thing you know the house will be full of tanks. sounds like you are taking good care of the fish. altispinosas are pretty hardy as dwarves go. they aslo breed very easily given the right conditions. they tend to be very difficult to sex until they are full grown. then it gets alot easier. full grown males get slight extensions on the upper and lower caudal giving them a lyretail appearance

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….