• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP............My Java Fern is dying

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Fern doesn't look too bad at all. I would definitely not throw it out. I've had much worse and they eventually recovered. Frogbit needs quite a bit of light for good growth and too much cover on top can cause issues with floating plants due to lack of air circulation. If you put frogbit out in summer in a bucket you will be amazed what it looks like in nature compared with aquarium conditions.
I agree with "Happyfins", the Java fern should be OK. You can take the old brown leaves off, they won't recover.

It might be a low light issue for both fern and frogbit, the other possibility is nutrient deficiency. Have a look at the "Duckweed Index" from <"N P K">.

cheers Darrel

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi all,I agree with "Happyfins", the Java fern should be OK. You can take the old brown leaves off, they won't recover.

It might be a low light issue for both fern and frogbit, the other possibility is nutrient deficiency. Have a look at the "Duckweed Index" from <"N P K">.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel,

I ´ve been using "Duckweed Index" for a year now. One of the best things I ´ve learned. Thanks for that!

My Frogbit has a good green color. It just wont multiply for some reason. My light is a 15 W T8 on 15 gallon tank.
My Salvinia Cucullata that´s in the same tank is quite pale in comparison.

I use salts as a fertilizer in my main tank, but have not used in this one cause I´m afraid it would rocket my conductivity.
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/i...rnEdit=5&Returnitemname=&ReturnShowItemStart=

I remember you posting on Ukaps some chart of nitrate levels and plant color.

Attachments

• 20170220_172852.jpg
    20170220_172852.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 414

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I ´ve been using "Duckweed Index" for a year now. One of the best things I ´ve learned. Thanks for that!
I think quite a few people use it now, it is nice and straightforward and it works.
My Frogbit has a good green color. It just wont multiply for some reason.
You are right, that looks good and healthy.
My light is a 15 W T8 on 15 gallon tank.
That is pretty low light, especially in the winter when ambient light levels are low.
I remember you posting on Ukaps some chart of nitrate levels and plant color.
Yes it is towards the bottom of page 1 in <"UKAPS:High Nitrate">.

cheers Darrel

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi,

Could it be that my Frogbit is of good color because it´s full of nitrates and such?
And Salvinia as a newcomer does not have access to ferts cause they are all used up?

How long should I wait if I add fertilization to this tank and want to measure it´s effect on conductivity?
Tank has 2 sponge filters.

I´m seriously derailing this thread now. Sorry about that!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Could it be that my Frogbit is of good color because it´s full of nitrates and such?
Yes, it looks pretty healthy.
And Salvinia as a newcomer does not have access to ferts cause they are all used up?
Possibly, although it normally is a paler green.
How long should I wait if I add fertilization to this tank and want to measure it´s effect on conductivity?
The fertiliser should raise the conductivity quickly, and after 30 minutes you should have the new value, even if you add as a dry salt. If you dissolve the fertiliser in water before you add it, the conductivity rise will be almost instantaneous.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….